2001 Islandia Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyLeeHeim

This forum is incredible! So before I dive in to the wormhole and ask for everyones advice, I want to thank everyone that participates in this forum!

OK......

So I have been given a 2001 Islandia with the Merc. 240. Its been sitting uncovered for 3 years. Interior is trashed, but I am mostly concerned about how to get it running. I am a 10 year diesel mechanic but I've never attempted repair on a 2 stroke motor or any type of watercraft before.

Where do I start looking for problems, and how can I get this thing running at home out of the water? This is a jet boat so I assume you can't use the "muffs" like other boats. is there a port somewhere I can attach a water hose?

Also, all of the switches appear to be missing the labeling, so I would love to get my hands on an owners manual for the boat and a manual for the engine to identify all the components that I don't immediately recognize.

Is there still a decent stock of parts out there for this thing? Im for sure going to need to know where to get them when needed.

Super pumped to get this thing back to life, and hopefully, you guys will be able to keep up with my journey!

Posting pictures soon.....

Is the engine seized? Have you put in a charged battery? Is the deadman switch connected? Is shifter in neutral? Starter is interlocked to neutral.

Spark plugs: remove them all. Any sign of metal or rust? Metal is very bad- something is melted. Rust: engine may have been submerged in its history. Turn engine over by hand- should be no noise or binding. Key off, full throttle. Use starter to spin engine. Lightly SPRAY oil into each cyl. Time for compression test at full throttle. Looking for (hoping for) 125 psi or better. Replace NEW spark plugs NGK about $7 each local.

Pee hole- bugs like to build there. If this hole is plugged, it can cost you a melted piston.

Fuel filters- there are 3. 2 are easy. Inline at the lift pump (goes 'thump thump when you turn the key on). Need some fresh gas. Canister filter looks like a small oil filter. #3 is inside the VST (the fuel injector pump housing) hard to get to. There is a drain at the bottom of the VST. Open it. Key on. Should get gas there. Close. Check fuel pressure- shrader valve on top of VST. Looking for 35 psi.

Underneath the boat- check the oil in the gearbox. 2 slotted screws in the grate. Similar to checking oil in an outboard. Behind the boat- check oil in the stator. Thru the steering nozzle, 3/8 pipe plug.

There is a water hose connection somewhere under the engine hatch. Hook it up and try to crank. Only run for a minute. Feel each spark plug. Are they equally warm? Common problem on engines that sat- inside the VST, normally wet with gas. Old gas & oil turns to goo. May need an overhaul. MUCH simpler than diesel.

Parts are avail. but some are stupid expensive. Merc has been using this 2.5L powerhead for many years. Some parts are being discontinued.

UPDATE-

So I went and picked up the boat last night. Got juice to the batteries and found that things seemed to power up ok. I don't know which switch is which because all the labeling is worn off of them. I haven't attempted to start it yet. I am going to get it cleaned up as best as I can tonight.

Besides cosmetics, do you guys see anything that jumps out at you?

If I sign up for the monthly membership, are the manuals for this boat and motor 100 percent available? I would like to drain the fuel system on this thing for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
  • IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
Looks like I already found my first problem. I found a harness south of the flywheel that the wires are corroded. Looks like this goes to the Trigger. I felt the rest of the wires going below the flywheel and they all seem super soft. I thought about re pinning harness, but I think it's probably safer to go ahead and replace.

Question is, where can I find a reliable part? Amazon had one for $135.

Also, I have no idea how to time this thing, as im sure it will need to be timed after replacement.

Any ideas?

I think I saw canvas for the porta potti area on ebay recently.

I would change all fuel filters, check the fuel lines, pump out any fuel still in the tank. Change all spark plugs, check belt. before trying to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back