2001 GTX just dies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbear757

Hi I need some help. My 2001 SeaDoo GTX 951 carb starts just fine but then at some undetermined time (usually 10 minutes or so) it just dies regardless of speed. When it dies you can be going full out and it just croaks like someone yanked the lanyard so I am assuming that it is electrical. From what I recall when it dies I have no gauges and I have to reseat the lanyard in order to start it. I've been combing the forums and I've found a few possible causes but am looking for any additional advice that you may have. So far I have DESS key, Post, Ground wire for the MPEM (where is this by the way???), MPEM itself and wiring.

So far I've rang out the post wiring and it seemingly tests fine. I have continuity all the way back to the MPEM on both the center and the ring and no continuity between any of the wires. The only thing that is odd is that when I put the key on I still show open between the white/gray and the black, which doesn't make any sense, because at least the last time I ran it I still got two beeps and it starts??

I ordered a new key today from Atlantis. I hope that was a good call. If anyone in Illinois would like to code the key for cheap let me know.

I figure my next step will be replacing the post. I can still replace the key and the post for less than one hour of troubleshooting at a dealership. That's my logic at least.

Does anyone have a good source for quality fuel line at a good price that won't disintegrate like the grey matter?

Thanks for all your help. I've worked in motorcycle forums before and I know the power of these forums so TIA for your advice!

Do you have the gray tempo lines? Just did mine 2001 GTS would run full race for about 20-30 sec then fall completely fall flat on its face almost shut off. The fuel valve selector switch clogged and lines going to it melted gummy inside it.

Do you have the gray tempo lines? Just did mine 2001 GTS would run full race for about 20-30 sec then fall completely fall flat on its face almost shut off. The fuel valve selector switch clogged and lines going to it melted gummy inside it.
Yes I do have the gray Tempo lines. They're not bad yet but I definitely need to address them at some point soon. I'm convinced that my primary issue is electrical but I know at some point after that's fixed I need to change all the lines. I wish someone sold a complete hose replacement kit complete with stainless spring clamps. Worm clamps suck for this low pressure stuff and IMHO are complete overkill.

I do not want to take away from the potential electrical issue...

That said, if you have GT Lines, you could be chasing ghosts forever. he lines need replaced, carbs rebuilt with ONLY OEM kits, needle and seats replaced, replace the fuel selector (Cleaning often leaves them sucking air). Until these are done, there is great potential that the engine will run lean and it will likely bog and shut down. A lean running engine will literally kill itself....

Took my lines off and one side looked ok just brown thought same thing may be electrical , electrical thought it's bad or not. Anyway pulled other end of line off and was all gummed up. Cut it open line plugged 2 -3?inches up line. Also found it plastic screw off filter at bottom green gum material you could roll into a small ball

There you go,,,

Lines, selector, rebuild carbs with OEM kits, needle and seat. If you use aftermarket kits they are ton stuff and hold the needles up off the seats. Internal filters can be cleaned, they do not need replaced.

i need to do this as well....does anybody know how many ft of 8mm line and 6.4mm line i need to do the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back