2001 GTX DI - Runs great but will not start again!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnowacoski

2001 GTX RFI - Runs great but will not start again!

We have a 2001 GTX RFI. If the ski sits over night, it will start up and run great! Full power, no odd sputter, no issues. However, if we shut it down, it will not restart. It just sputters, a few back fires, that's it. Let it sit, and it will start up again.

Any suggestions of what to look at?

Things we have done so far:
  • New plugs
  • Cleaned fuel filter on bottom of fuel pump
  • Cleaned fire arrestor on air intake
  • Added Fuel Injector Cleaner
  • Fully Charged the Battery
  • Pulled Plugs, checked for water (no water but noticed more gas vapor on forward cylinder)
  • Checked spark on both plugs
  • Checked water intake for obstructions

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that the injectors are leaking.

Once the engine is warm, and has run for a while... and you shut it off... the fuel, in the system is leaking down, past the injectors, and lightly floods the engine. Then... when you go to re-start... and the fuel system pressurizes... you get even more fuel.

New injectors would do it... but generally, you can pull them, and have a local shop clean and check them... and if needed, rebuild them for less than new.

I called a the only local shop within 60 miles. They would not help over the phone. They did not have time for a walk-in to scan the codes and said there was at least a 2-week wait time. But, they were able to tell me that it might be a more serious issue that might cook the engine and I better just bring it in and leave it. I find it hard to beleive that there is anything majorly wrong with it since when it starts, it runs fine with full power. I will have to pull the fuel rail myself and see if I can see anything. Is there a special procedure to get the rail off?

What shop did you call? An injector shop can't scan codes.

Take the injectors out yourself, and take them to a fuel injection shop. NOT to a seadoo dealer.

Most dealers suck. That's why this board is here.:thumbsup:

It's very rare that we send someone to a dealer. That's normally just to pull a code, or program a lanyard.

I do have a Maintenance light blinking (been blinking for about 2 years now) so I should get the code read but I am not going to leave it at a dealer for two weeks for just that! I wish the Bosch MPEM programmer was as cheap as OBDII scanners! :rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back