2001 gtx di ...951 engine rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

simmo999

Hi guys new to this, and just bought a broken 951 di ... Which may not have been a good idea based on what I have read here ....

Oh well, it's done now ... So I am looking to get it back in the water...

The problems/story so far...

I have taken the engine out ... Took it apart, and 1 piston gone with ring siezed lots of dents in the head... Bent Conrod.. Big end bearing all gone .... And bores scored...

I no nothing about the history... But have sourced the following:

1 replacement crank;
1 recon balance shaft

So the bottom end can go back together...

The current bore had vertex 75 pistons so I think the bore is already 0.75mm over and in pretty bad shape .... So can I rebore without any further issues and put in 1mm or 1.5mm over pistons in ...

Then the top end will be ready to go back together....

Is there anything else I should check/do, as to date I have not found the cause of the meltdown ....

I am currently trying to get it together as cheaply as possible just in case we it goes back together it does not work :).

Any advice or am I throwing good money after bad?

Thanks in advance

Did you buy the replacement parts already? If you didn't... just bolt it back together, and get an SBT engine. You can't rebuild it yourself for less... and when you are done, you won't have a warranty. Also... the 951 engine has a short life, so DO NOT buy a used crank. The only reason I mention that is because you said you found one cheap.

As far as the top end... don't guess about the size. Just measure the bore. if it's 0.75mm over... then you may be able to go to 1mm over. BUT... you will need to also shave the RAVE valves so they don't hit the pistons.

With the 951 engine... they don't always show a reason why they melted. The oil system is VERY reliable... but make sure it's clean, and working before putting the new engine together. Since you are a Di... you have no choice in using it. (you can't run pre-mix)

Dr Honda thanks for the quick reply ... In Australia an sbt engine is approx $1900...

To date I have sourced a new WSM crank and recon balance for $600 or so, and I am hoping for a top end kit for $250 from the states and a rebore for somewhere in the $100/200 mark ... So around $1k... All in ....

My problem is that you can never tell if it is going to work after this.. Anyway I am already in for the bottom end, so in for a penny, in for a pound...

I may have to hit you up later once I get the engine back in and turning over...

So my next steps are...

1. Replace crank using only oil on parts and liquid gasket on the case.

2. Check oil pump using drill... I can blow through all oil injectors, when I blow as hard as possible .. The place I got the crank suggested that because there was oil in one side it suggested the pump was working.

3. Get top end sorted

4. Back in ski, on water, have fun....

All sounds easy ..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back