2001 GTX 951 SeaDoo Wont Start ,New & Old Starter Solenoid makes a Loud TICK Noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xklipze

2001 GTX 951 SeaDoo Wont Start ,New & Old Starter Solenoid makes a Loud TICK Noise

2001 SeaDoo GTX 951, Rode the same River for 2 weeks , then one random day, i goto start it on the trailer, before i launch it in the River again and nothing at all. Dont hear the starter turning, only hear one noise :

the Lanyard Key Makes 2 beeps (ready to start)

And then a Semi-Loud Tick, ( replaced the Starter Solenoid with a new one from ebay, and The Same Tick.)

Does this mean that i have a bad starter ? anyone have any ideas ?

P.S. i tested all the fuses, and they all worked
appriciate any help at all
thanks,
Christopher

Check all connections to and from starter and check to see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If you can turn it over check the voltage on the battery

im throwing the battery on the charger now, just in case ( battery is new 3 months ago, and has been very strong and starts fast )

On the Shaft that comes out of the back of the engine that goes to the impellar there is a 'GRAY" colored cover that covers up the shaft pull that cover off its pretty simple and you will see the shaft coming out of the engine. pull out the plugs and turn the shaft by hand and see if engine turns over report back with findings

okay, I removed the cover & plugs , and turned the motor with a box wrench , i verified the pistons were moving by the pressure against my thumb.

it moved with average resistance , not easy and not hard.

i noticed 2 broken bolts on the engine head, with some rust (had some issues with the company who rebuilt the engine) doesnt seem to be fresh, and can only imagine this as the result from over - tightening.

i also noticed fresh oil that is between the cylinder head and the power valve, coming from the top most position,

i dont think this is preventing my engine from turning over either.

i have attached the pictures below.

I appriciate the help
thank you !

p.s. For the last 40 Hours this jetski has been running perfect, and has been lots of fun, up until last week, with it not starting

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0044.jpg
    759.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG0045.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
starter anyone ?

the battery was at 65% , it has now been charged to 100% and i will try in the morning.
does anyone think this could be a bad starter ?

the battery was at 65% , it has now been charged to 100% and i will try in the morning.
does anyone think this could be a bad starter ?

Ok now that we know the motor isnt locked hook up the battery one more time and try to turn it over if it still clicks and you have said you checked all connections and fuses then yes next thing would be a starter. try to touch the posts together on the solenoid with a rubber handled screwdriver it will arc but if the starter engages you know its good. It will svae you alot of time taking it off. Report back with findings

test #3

hello,
i made a jumper wire, connected it to the negative terminal on the new fully charged battery.

i put it on 4 different locations on the engine block and some solid bolts. i cleaned the terminals with a wire brush.

same thing , the Tick noise. i jumped the solenoid with a screw driver , just a spark nothing else.

i also removed the air box to get closer to the starter.

I ordered a new sea doo starter online, should get it in a few days.

any other suggestions? thanks for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back