2001 GTI - Beeps, start button tested fine, jump starter works, won't crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

alauberth

2001 SeaDoo GTI with 718 engine. I can't get the starter to crank using the start button. When the key goes in you get the chirp. I used a electrical tester and opened up where the starter solenoid is located, and the starter button shows it is working correctly. I replaced the solenoid as a hunch since I was able to jump to get the starter to crank. But it won't crank using the button. There is power everywhere in that box. There is power at the coil as well.

Help? Ideas? Steps to trouble shoot?

Thanks a bunch!

Anthony

Use a volt meter and see how much voltage your getting at the solonoid from the trigger wire (wire from start button) It should match your battery voltage. As a simple test, take a jumperwire and hook it to pos terminal on battery and the other on the trigger on the solonoid. If it turns over, then youve got an issue either in the start button or the wiring going to it. I would bet you have some corrosion somewhere in the wires and possibly a break in the wire, not allowing enough current to the solonoid in order to activate.

The MPEM could be bad...so keep that in mind. I would assume you would not see 12v at the wires going into the solenoid though.

I had a 92 come in that had a bad kill switch making the solenoid wires only produce 6v. Swapped the button and it was good to go.

I've more commonly heard of them going bad the other way...come home to find your seadoo cranking away. I have a customer with a 97XP with that exact problem right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back