2001 DI air compressor rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a video on this DIY?? I want to rebuild the air compressor but want to know at least some kind of direction before I start. Thanks

No video but it is not a bad job.
Assuming the engine is in the ski:

**My Disclaimer is I can’t remember if the rear engine mount needs to be loosened for access to the counterbalance cover. If so then just put a board under the engine and remove.** I believe it does.

I would remove the PTO cover for better access to counterbalance end plate.
Disconnect the air lines going to the compressor head.
Remove spark plugs making it easy to rotate the engine.
Remove the compressor head.
Remove the counterbalance end plate.
With the compressor head removed rotate the engine allowing the cylinder sleeve to push up.
Once the sleeve is up enough to grab, remove the Allen bolt on the connecting rod. Piston, sleeve and rod will lift out.
Clean everything.
Install new connecting rod onto new piston.
Install piston rings onto piston off setting gaps.
Lube new piston and install into sleeve.
Lube sleeve and install back into engine.
Rotate engine until connecting rod bolt can be installed onto counterbalance.
Clean and inspect counterbalance cover and O ring. Replace O ring if necessary.
Clean and inspect compressor head
Using a new gasket reinstall the head and connect everything back.
Test start engine. Take to lake and enjoy.

Sea-Doo Compressor Rebuild Kit GTX DI /RX DI /LRV DI /XP DI /Sport LE DI /3D 947 DI 2001-2006

Small point/big point,(not sure), the sleeve on the piston, appears to be totally parallel, but it is not, it has a very slight taper, keep that in mind for your re-assembly. Also be careful where you place your spacer to lift the motor, there is a long plastic rectangular cover under the motor that has water running through it to cool the bottom of the case, it can break easily.

Don't forget to use a new bolt with red threadlocker to secure the connecting rod to the counterbalance weight.

00IPiuhL6JphMIqUcs-pslmes9MEdAqlGdiEDX3Wa-WwHSSjrdGirzj9UGi45kHAvzW_1b--mAr-jKd-H57IQIFSYtzoLbZHWZQpBX_Rmuckyukt3n9MtEZMpeF6m7HeyPF1HHrlKWraL0en3DxOVQ86BRnxAYCV2HaWKLEuhwAw1kVte1g5KsKPXH0XYQ5t4kLcPZuQIbjBEP84KTC9fxQtjj1925L7TPWLzYrSRPX_MXgXcw9Ox5qynEpbEjnYOG_WtnOzhGoONJvVKsCkrBvdw-xSXZ9CQd6hQOR_BMJ29UjwGjZw-subFDrS9j3yOaaQa7oG-CoOFjYkfmAww30s_YvzCgaag0z3tdhTQkTzDnhgAYWwiu6t6ZeDaxCem_vAmMoVURe5AAMJ-tT4nLW5jR4CfJXV7iDk1d7-Dp64P9gGLRvOxjPT1EXRIAQnMwnICFcIXpJ0XE9CuH1VL9mJZ1vdHcX6KIvgzFqxO3DNCnt017GQV0tv2NFI3dJZggPb0jtbUC7TdxKvNJO5wXSnJT-XhFcOSRv7kwRmqV2g79B9cZ2XXc0tWGZOtwSxAdQD4ipFk0zomayZeNkhj_0uM-odvXUiHdGaEqBzIUQ-B594eft4JgQh-wV_O40ISSs7KIgfKAuomWd8z24P9g_17ezHVYOi2oXSbZuH93TPgKvFDjUQb9Xkbi_OZ4S_VJ3Pxbdj49B2dtSBNDkVpOwds_7lvO1vM20FYHvobBhuBHF0Ew=w1730-h1297-no

Awesome guys!!!! Thanks a lot for the help. I ordered the rebuild kit so I will get into that when it come but I have one more thing. I need to test fuel and air pressure, what parts do I need to but to put the together and where do I test from?? I have the manual but don’t really understand the procedure.

Thanks guys for adding what I omitted. I was thinking off the top of my head and trying to translate into steps.

You can test the air pressure with a compression gauge. Attach your gauge at the top of the hose that comes out of the air compressor. You will need to mc gyver a hose to make the connection. Leave the plugs in, caps off, and turn the motor over for a couple seconds, it should scoot up to 80 psi or so.
Testing the fuel pressure is a whole different story.

I have yet to find a video on here to do both these tests.

Last edited:
You can test the air pressure with a compression gauge. Attach your gauge at the top of the hose that comes out of the air compressor. You will need to mc gyver a hose to make the connection. Leave the plugs in, caps off, and turn the motor over for a couple seconds, it should scoot up to 80 psi or so.
Testing the fuel pressure is a whole different story.

I have yet to find a video on here to do both these tests.
Ok thanks, that’s kinda what I was thinking. With the fuel I was thinking just taking the online filter out and placing the “t” there. I don’t see any problem with that. Correct psi with key on should be about 27psi, cranking about 107psi if I am correct. The air pressure remains at 80psi no matter the amount of throttle being applied, also if I am correct.

Yes, disconnect the ON line at the filter, T in and you should be good to go. And yup, over many many years, I have yet to find a DI fuel test video, I swear BRP has them blocked!.

Thanks!!! You guys have been so much help. I’ll get into this over the next few days and report back. Hopefully I’ll be good to go....

Some fuel may (hopefully ) come out after you disconnect the lines. Maybe have a rag there. You should get 27 psi when you first apply the key, and then 107 as you turn the motor over.

Ok, here we go. I didn't get to the compressor rebuild yet, don't have the parts, so I decided to check the fuel pressure. At key on pressure goes up to 27psi, then slowly drops to 0psi. Then I started the ski. Pressure goes up to 107psi, ski runs just fine then the pressure drops, fairly quick, and engine dies at around 80 psi. So I'm assuming the air compressor is good. Also, after a few starts, when the key goes on the pressure runs up to about 50 psi and drops pretty quickly to 0 psi. Now for the kicker. This fuel pump was changed at the beginning of the season by an apparently reputable place that I have been going to for 2 years(my father in law takes his kawi to him also). I am I correct in saying the pump is no good because it doesn't hold pressure or is it something else?? All fuel lines are secure and leak free.

Was a genuine seadoo pump installed? Most have pressure issues with aftermarket pumps.

You can't unless you pull it and even if it's OEM most places only have a 12 month warranty on their work.

You can't unless you pull it and even if it's OEM most places only have a 12 month warranty on their work.
Thats what I thought. Well I'm still within the 12 months. I just want to make sure it is the pump and not a regulator or a check valve or something silly like that. Maybe even a clogged filter at the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
I have Yet to have a plugged/blogged tank bottom check valve as a cause for low or not holding fuel pressure. (I'd be so lucky). I believe that the OEM pump (that has a check valve built into it), is of course contracted to an outside source,

BRP.Google

I have Yet to have a plugged/blogged tank bottom check valve as a cause for low or not holding fuel pressure. (I'd be so lucky). I believe that the OEM pump (that has a check valve built into it), is of course contracted to an outside source,

BRP.Google
So it looks like we are singling our the pump here, correct??

Back on the topic of air compressors, is a rebuild recommended as proactive maintenance or only if pressure is low? I am picking up my GTX DI project ski this weekend and will be rebuilding the engine. Should I go ahead and hit the air compressor while I am in there or are they pretty reliable? The engine is coming out so it should be pretty easy.

Back on the topic of air compressors, is a rebuild recommended as proactive maintenance or only if pressure is low? I am picking up my GTX DI project ski this weekend and will be rebuilding the engine. Should I go ahead and hit the air compressor while I am in there or are they pretty reliable? The engine is coming out so it should be pretty easy.
Good question, I think if it were me I would go ahead and just do it anyways since the engine would be out of the hull.

So I pulled the fuel pump out and it looks like an OEM pump but on a side note..... as I took the pump apart, god there was a lot of sand and dirt inside the cylinder. So I’m wondering if that was the problem for loosing pressure.... I didn’t clean it out and put the pump back in and the gauge shows the lines are holding pressure right around 27 psi for about an hour now. I haven’t started the ski only because I ran out of cranking power with the battery, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back