2001 Challenger with twin Rotax engines?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Watchmaker

Hello,

I am negotiating to buy a 2001 Challenger 1800. The owner is over 300 kilometres away, so I am asking a lot of questions before making the drive. He says the boat is driven by twin 160 hp Rotax engines - rebuilt 20 and 30 hours respectively. All my research shows that a 2001 Challenger should have Mercury M2 engines. Am I missing something, or should I back away slowly from this long drive to nowhere?

All help and advice much appreciated.

Check the vin number on the back of the boat. Last two digits will tell you the year model. No such thing as a 2001 twin engine Challenger 1800.
If it indeed has twin rotax engines the will be 110hp each displacement will be 787, not 160hp. Most probably a 97, 98 or 99 year model.
Boats with 160hp total hp would be earlier years and different models with the twin 657 or twin 717 engines.
Get the owner to let you perform a compression check. If no, walk away.
Check the engine name plate on each engine and look for the letters SBT. If it has those letters I (only speaking for myself) would walk away.
With good compression everything else can be worked out.

Final note: MPEM’s (brain) are expensive and hard to find.

Thank you. I did ask the owner to send a photo of the HIN, Turns out it's a 2000 year model built in May 1999. Not sure about the engines but will ask about the SBT letters. And will ask about a compression check. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back