2001 1800 challenger 210 HP Wear ring repair necessary? Possible?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjb325i

I thought I found the cause for the cavitation when I removed that rock trapped in the stater but didnt see that rock trapped behind the impeller. Here is the damage to the wear ring . Is it in a critical area requiring repair? If so could I fill it with epoxy(JB weld)? Notice the damage removed a ring which I believe is part of the wear ring ...but I dont see a seam. Is there a removable wear ring ?

Thanks in advance Doc. Honda !

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_211605239.jpg
    IMG_20181020_211605239.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 46
The wear ring is that entire section... so there isn't a "Seam" where a removable part is. There have been a bunch of people who have had great luck with a JB Weld repair. I personally would give it a try since a new part or stainless insert will be over $400. Just don't fill in the holes where the cooling water gets pushed into.

YES... that missing tine is how the rock got into the pump. If you are running in the shallows, and rocks are a concern... I would get the "Rock Grate". It's stainless steel and has twice the tines to keep out everything other than the small stuff.

Tony,
Thanks for the feedback!

Then what is that ring? How could the rock spinning cut out a ring?

Thanks,

John

Well.... it didn't really cut a "Ring" out. That was the lip that aligned the parts. SO... the rock just was in the right spot to grind a groove into the rear of the wear ring... and that lip was just behind where it was cutting.

Now that I think of it... I don't' think you can salvage that part. Since that ring keeps everything centered... you can't re-create it with JB weld. AND... I don't know if impros can put in a stainless ring into that housing. At this point, you will need to find I new one, or a good used one.

Thanks Tony.
Does anyone have a photo of the backside of the pump so I can see what a good one looks like?

Thanks in advance

John

If you look at the pump service PDF.... it shows a pic. If you do a quick google search... a few pics come up too.

Tony and all,

Ive been looking but vstill cant find any good photos or drawings for the wear ring. Im going to try to reform the worn section with JBWeld. Any close up photos of the rear portion would be very helpful.

Thanks,

John

I wouldn't try to reform that... unless you are welding it up, and have access to a milling machine to cut that center to the bore. The lip centers the ring. If you are off, it will cavitate. If it cracks and slips... you will have a full melt-down.

Tony,

Didnt you mean to say "Go for it! Great idea! Should be easy! With no risk ......and cheap too! Its a win,win,win!"

I was thinking i could center the cut out ring at the specified protruded distance, spot tack it with jb weld and then fill all the grooves with jbweld, understanding the centering to be critical for all alignments.

That's unfortunate

Thank you

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back