2000 Seasdoo Islandia Motor failure Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar21

2000 Seadoo Islandia
Serial #OE382852
240 EFI Power Head

Just bought it knowing it had a motor issue, After pulling the engine and taking it to my buddies shop, We pulled the plugs, Not sure on Cylinder #'s and Firing order, But #1 or #6 had piston had melted. After getting it split apart, We found the Plastic Oil Injection pump peice on the crank was shot and is what caused it to melt, My ? is the Cylinder does Not have any cracks or gouges on a visual. Was wondering if these are Nickle Plated and if we could Rehone it and Be good ??
Also gonna do a complete rebuild, Bearings, Gaskets, Reeds, And gonna Pre Mix the Fuel and Do away with the the oil pump setup

Parts #'s for the best Rebuild kits, And Any One know any Machine Shops Around Ohio that can do these if It needs sent off !!!!
Thanks
Any help is Much Appreciated

Attachments

• 20190430_193213.jpg
    20190430_193213.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
Wow that looks worse than melted. To answer your question on honing, i would not just try to rehone this one yourself. I highly doubt you dont have some significant scores in the sleeve with all that material that broke apart.

Most Power-heads cannot be "bored" but they can be professionally "honed" to meet the specs for oversize pistons. If you can find a set of pistons have a machine shop (harder to find) that can hone the cyl out the .020 or .030...etc you need. They are out there and its cheap. I just had a 1960s johnson done (2cyl) for 150. Its cheap insurance vs re-honing yourself.

If you cant find someone local i can give you the name of the shop near me and you can ship it. Def cheaper than a used block and better in the end since you know exactly what you have for the few hundred dollars in machine work.

Just ask the machine shop if they have the setup to bore a powerhead, most will respond no but some have the setup to hone them. This is due to the cutter on the boring machine not being able to go to the bottom of the sleeve because the crank is there, requires a hone setup.

Might add that I'm Mechanically Inclined and have done several Dirt Track Racing Engines, How ever if I can get replacement sleeves I can install them myself and then have them finished at the regular machine shop, But with this being a Marine setup I was unforsure, And trying to do it the best way possible without breaking the bank !!!
Thanks

They are not nickel plated. Hone the cyl... replace the center gear, clean all the parts, replace the bearings, pistons and rings... go enjoy the boat.

You can get replacement sleeves, but they really aren't replaceable. The old sleeve has to be cut out, and it's an interference fit. So the OD of the sleeve is 0.004" bigger than the ID of the block. I've done it by chilling the sleeve, and putting the block in a 450 degree oven for an hour. You have about 10 seconds to get the sleeve lined up, and put down into the block. If you miss... the sleeve is trash.

LA Big Bore (LA Sleeve) makes them. They are about $100. But I'm guessing you can use some pool acid and clean out the melted aluminum, and just hone it with a real machinist hone, and you will be fine. (not one of those ball things)

Guys, thanks for posting your knowledge. I am looking at a 2002 see doo islandia with the 240 mercrusier. After reading your post it really concerns me about the oil pump. Do you guys know what year they switched to electric or is there a metal replacement gear for this pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back