2000 seadoo challenger 1800 won’t start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwhary

This is a new boat for me from end of last season and am trying desperately to get more familiar with it, especially since no one wants to work on them around me. I had it running fine last week but when I started it today it tried to start but wouldn’t turn over. I removed the main fuel line on the port side of the motor and it doesn’t seem to be getting gas. Is the lift pump in the gas tank suppose to pump fuel to the engine. I cycled the key with the hose off and no gas comes out. Just hoping maybe this might be it as it would be something I could fix.
Jim

This is a new boat for me from end of last season and am trying desperately to get more familiar with it, especially since no one wants to work on them around me. I had it running fine last week but when I started it today it tried to start but wouldn’t turn over. I removed the main fuel line on the port side of the motor and it doesn’t seem to be getting gas. Is the lift pump in the gas tank suppose to pump fuel to the engine. I cycled the key with the hose off and no gas comes out. Just hoping maybe this might be it as it would be something I could fix.
Jim

Welcome.
There is no pump in the tank. The lift pump is on port side of engine. 2 wires, hose on a small (1" dia.) filter, and hose out. This is the pump that "thump thump". This pump is on a timer from the ECU and runs only about 15 seconds. They do fail and have been known to blow fuses. There should be a fuse near the pump. If the pump is dead, (no thump thump) some have said it can be rebuilt. Mine was dead and not repairable. It is just a low pressure (5psi) marine rated fuel pump avail. many places. Some of the Merc parts are crazy expensive, but this is just a generic marine pump.

Can you put a volt meter on the wires to the lift pump? Trying to determine if you have a power problem or a dead pump?

Details matter here. When you say "wouldn't turn over", does that mean starter will not turn the flywheel cranking or engine cranks, but will not start?

What engine do you have? Merc used about 4 different styles.

I have a Mercury M2 jetdrive 210 HP. i took it to get looked at and they told me there was no spark. they told me it is the stator and that they need to replace both switchbox assemblies as well as the trigger plate assembly. So far they said i'm looking at about $2200 which is killing me for a boat that i spent about $5,500 on. Just wondering if this sounds correct to have to replace everything as i havent heard this when replacing a stator before. Also unfortunately the staor is on national backorder and not available until September.

I have a Mercury M2 jetdrive 210 HP. i took it to get looked at and they told me there was no spark. they told me it is the stator and that they need to replace both switchbox assemblies as well as the trigger plate assembly. So far they said i'm looking at about $2200 which is killing me for a boat that i spent about $5,500 on. Just wondering if this sounds correct to have to replace everything as i havent heard this when replacing a stator before. Also unfortunately the staor is on national backorder and not available until September.

Wow. Shops have no shame as how much they will gouge a customer. About $600 in parts and could be done in an hour by experienced tech.

Get your boat home.

Start with the simplest check. The rubber cap on the kill switch can fail to fully depress the button under the cap.

The wire that kills ignition spark is black with yellow stripe. It can be found just behind the flywheel. Unplug and check again. Look at the wires that come out from under the flywheel. The original triggers had crappy insulation that crumbled over time. If you have bad wires, replace the trigger. Many here have used (including me) CDI Electronics. Start checking connections. No green connections allowed. Check ground connections. There are several.

Tim, you sound like a guy who has experience!! I too am looking at the same issues as jim

i had the boat running a couple of weeks ago no problems at all… i got it to the lake today, and the engine turns over strong, but simply does not attempt to fire up…

i am watching this thread, hoping it’ll point me in the right direction… please keep us all updated as things change…

so far, i have checked the pump - its a little confusing - with the ignition on, there is no fuel flowing, but when i turn to start, it pumps…a lot… i guess that is how it’s supposed to function?

Next up is spark… I pulled all the plugs, one after another, all have a pretty decent spark - granted, the test was pretty rudimentary, but non the less - a good visible spark was seen on all 6 plugs. and the plugs looks reasonable too - no build up on crap, and not excessively wet.

Well, reading and testing - i got it figured - looks like i was flooding the engine. The slow speed steering system was disconnected when i bought the boat… so of course, i re-connected it all back up.. even with the cables loosened all the way, they were still applying too much pressure to the carb linkage….

anyway, I have it starting on the button again. Just figured someone may find this useful later..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back