2000 Sea-doo Speedster 240 efi

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
New to Forum and this is our small lake boat. We also have a 28 Checkmate w built 502 for the big water but have loved this boat on our inland lake this summer. Im mechanically inclined but no manual and have a basic understanding of jet boats versus the outdrives I normally work on in our big boat.

So, sucked up a tennis ball and dug that out, no damage to the impeller or wear ring, initially though it was the wear ring when it wouldn’t plane out. When I pulled it from the water and found out it was a tennis ball, I noted the rubber gasket around the grate was compromised in the corner (see picture),I also noted this Boat has a metal wear ring which has no scoring at all. Questions:

1. Is pitting on the metal wear ring normal and ok? It’s not scored but pitted here and there rather than completely smooth.

2. What’s this rubber gasket in the picture called and what recommendations for places online to purchase. Appears straight forward to change.

3. Manuals...I see them on eBay but want feedback before but one...where online, etc.

Thanks!

Welcome.

Let's just get to it....

1) It's kind of normal. Obviously, a perfectly smooth, tight fitting surface is ideal. But as they age, you will get some pitting. If it's not excessive... it shouldn't be an issue. My boat's ring isn't perfect and runs fine.

2) Don't see a pic.

3) I personally have a physical manual Mercury engine manual, and a Seadoo "Chassis" manual for the islandia. I like it when I'm "Hands on" working. But I also have digital manuals. They are great when I'm sitting at 5 in the morning, and thinking about an issue. The Seadoo manuals are getting harder to find, but they are out there. The Mercury manuals are easy, but not cheap. BUT... there are a couple generations of your engine/drive. Make sure you get the right one. If you post a pic of your engine, or the engine serial number... I can tell you what you have. If you become a supporting member here... there are digital engine manuals available.

DO NOT buy any aftermarket manuals !!! Over the years, I've found them to have incorrect info, and that can be critical at time.

Hope that helps.

Welcome.

Let's just get to it....

1) It's kind of normal. Obviously, a perfectly smooth, tight fitting surface is ideal. But as they age, you will get some pitting. If it's not excessive... it shouldn't be an issue. My boat's ring isn't perfect and runs fine.

2) Don't see a pic.

3) I personally have a physical manual Mercury engine manual, and a Seadoo "Chassis" manual for the islandia. I like it when I'm "Hands on" working. But I also have digital manuals. They are great when I'm sitting at 5 in the morning, and thinking about an issue. The Seadoo manuals are getting harder to find, but they are out there. The Mercury manuals are easy, but not cheap. BUT... there are a couple generations of your engine/drive. Make sure you get the right one. If you post a pic of your engine, or the engine serial number... I can tell you what you have. If you become a supporting member here... there are digital engine manuals available.

DO NOT buy any aftermarket manuals !!! Over the years, I've found them to have incorrect info, and that can be critical at time.

Hope that helps.

IMG_7871.JPG

Thanks! I’d prefer to support the site and go digital. I’ll the serial number details this morning.

ok... that's a Gen 1 engine. You need a 2001 and earlier manual. If you see 2001 1/2... that's the gen 2 manual.

I can still see your tennis ball.. LoL

Ummmm..... that hanging gasket isn't good. I'm wondering if it's sucking air around it, and drawing it into the pump. Just a little air, and you don't go anywhere. I would clean everything VERY good, and put a big fat bead of black RTV silicone up in there... and squish that back into place. The RTV should help seal any gaps where it meets the hull. Obviously replacing it is the right thing to do... but that's a big job. The engine has to come out, and then you can get to the housing bolts. That's a winter project.

Lastly... the intake grate is broken. Get that fixed IMEDIATLY !! not only can you suck up big stuff with that tine missing... which can cause impeller, ring, or bearing damage... but the "Hydrosurge" grates are known to break, and throw tines into the pump while running. If that happens... it could ruin the day, and cause a lot of damage. A hunk of aluminum getting into a running pump will take out the impeller, ring, and possible the stator. Even with used parts that could be over $1k. I don't mind the hydrosurge grate, but you have to keep your eye on it. Most people change out to the fixed rock grate.

Awesome information; thank you very much! I’ll grab some RTV and follow your advice.

In terms of the fixed grate, is there a site of choice I should be familiar with to purchase it? Any performance or longevity differences over one brand or another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back