2000 Sea Doo challenger 240 efi M2 Engine frozen

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Fredamateur

Hi, after 3 years without being used, I tried it today, and the engine is frozen. I was making some repairs and it took me a lot of work, what should I do? Any advice? Would appreciate it. Thanks

Is it locked up for sure or is it possibly the starter just is stuck? Did you try pulling the plugs and then turning it over by hand - if not, 1st step to determine if it is the starter or electrical vs a locked up engine.

If the engine is indeed locked up, the next thing I'd do if you have one is use a camera to look in the spark plug holes to see what things look like - if reasonably clean and not rusty, I'd pour some ATF down each cylinder through the spark plug holes and let it sit for a few days to a week - then try to turn it over again without the plugs in - see if it frees up.

thank you for you answering, 2 days ago I have removed the spark plug and I filled all the cylinder with blaster, so can I put now the ATF and maybe next week I can move the fly wheel.

Yeah, the ATF will work better than the PB Blaster. It works well for freeing up lightly stuck engines where it is just the rings stuck to the cylinder bore.

When you put it in storage 3 years ago, did you fog the engine? Also did you flush the cooling system with RV antifreeze? If neither of those things, you might be in for a tear down. Could have bad corrosion issues in the cylinders or worse, if water was left in the engine and you get freezing temperatures where you are, you could have cracked a cooling passage and let water into the engine which locked it up.

Hi, thank you, 3 years ago I didn't know anything about boats, so I haven't done anything you've said. Now I have to pay for my lack of knowledge. I am in Florida so freezing temperatures shouldn't have been the issue. The fly wheel started to move by a couple millimeters today. Would it be a good idea to put blaster in the cooling system? Thanks

You don't want to put any pb blaster in the cooling system. Being in Florida and no freezing temps, you are probably okay without doing the flush with antifreeze.

Was the boat last run-in salt water or fresh? If salt, did you flush it out on the hose when you got home?

That is good about the flywheel - suggests it is freeing up and may have just been stuck rings. Hopefully no damage to the cylinder walls. You might get lucky!

Hi, thank you, I think I screwed up the engine, after putting PB blaster I filled all the cylinders with ATF until ATF started coming out for the hole of the spark plug. Then I put the spark plug back and continued putting ATF, I have used 3 quarters and a half, and the ATF started leaking near the reed block. Is that good news or bad news?

That is a lot of ATF - sorry, I guess I should of specified you only needed a little in each cylinder - enough to cover the piston/coat the rings - that is it.
That said, as long as you didn't put the plugs in and then try to turn it over with the starter (which if the engine freed up could hydro lock it) you should be fine. The worst thing you likely have now is just an awful mess to clean up.
I'd clean the extra up and if you have some sort of hand pump or syphon, suck some it out of the cylinders. Then let the rest soak into the piston rings and in a few days, (without the plugs in) see if you can turn it over by hand/work the flywheel back and forth. Once/if you can turn it over by hand (smoothly - no mechanical clunks or feelings indicating physical damage), while still leaving the plugs out, put some rags in around the engine (away from anything moving or directly on the spark plug holes) and turn it over with the starter to blow all the excess ATF out.

No, don't put ATF in the jet pump. If your jet pump is contaminated with water it needs to be disassembled/cleaned/inspected, and any corroded or damaged parts like bearings replaced as well as seals (because something let the water in). ATF isn't going to fix it for you and even if it freed it up if stuck, you'd need to rebuild it.

That said, this raises a good point. Is your jet pump still on the boat? And you say it is contaminated? If the pump has locked up, it will keep the engine from being able to turn over. Could be your issue right there.

Thank you, buddy. Finally, the engine is running; now I took off the body throttle and the Vapor separator tank for cleaning and I don't know how to buy the seal for each one. Could you tell me if there is any code?

Well that is great you got it running - I'm sure that was a relief!

I can't specifically say about your seals - I've never had one with a Merc. However, if you go to BRP Parts Catalogs you can see the parts diagrams and part numbers for everything. You should be able to get the info you need there and then use those part numbers to order what you need.

Good weekend everyone, after one years I have a new problem, I replaced the solenoid, the starter. new solenoid, new starter and not engine star. starter doesn't release it keep stuck up in the flywheel spinning. battery is 12.5volt

Back