2000 Islandia, questions about plugs, oil, and steering

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter610

Hi all,

I tried to search the forums, not so much info on what I am looking for.

I just picked up a 2000 Islandia, great boat but I have a few questions.
1. What oil to use, I would think it doesn't matter much.
2. Oil gear is supposed issue, is there a replacement part that I can install? I don't want to bypass it, just want to make it reliable.
3. Sparkplugs - BPZ8HS-10 Is this correct, is there a better plug?
4. Steering, when I run at low speeds it steers great, but as I power up I have to keep the wheel turned to the right more than half way or more to keep it straight. Is this normal, it turns ok but it seems so odd to me.
5. Boat is heavy on the right side, sits in the water deeper and Im not sure that is normal either, full tank of gas or empty. I did drain the hull.

Thanks, I love this boat so far, wishing for just a bit more oomph but it fits the need. Hopefully its a keeper.

Regards,
Scooter.

1) Any TC-w3 is fine.

2) Yes, there is a newer design... but you have to split the engine to install it. The gear in question is on the crankshaft. I don't recommend bypassing oil injection either. It's dam near impossible to mix a 55 gal tank properly.

3) Sounds right... but I will have to double check. (Getting ready to get on a plane, have to do that later) There really isn't another plug to use. NGK is really the only brand that holds up to 2-strokes. BUT... I put a set in when I rebuilt my engine... and they have been fine for 7 years now.

4/5) Kind of normal... but sounds excessive. Make sure the outer sleeve on the cable isn't loose from the housing. (at the pump end) Also... you have a 25 gallon water tank on the port (left) side of the boat... top it off... and that will help.

Thanks for the reply. Ill check it out this weekend. Your rebuild was impressive, I saw the posts.
Safe flight.

I have searched all over for this oil pump gear in the engine that should be metal, anyone have a part number or identifier for it?

Thanks,
Scott

Not sure what you are asking on that. There are 2 gears. The metal one is on the pump shaft. The gear on the crank is plastic. There is an improved version... but it's still a plastic gear.

Ah ok, I misunderstood the one on the crank, I thought there was a metal replacement one available. Still cant find that gear on any diagram tho. Thanks for the feedback.

I found it. 43-14513A09. There is a write up about a bushing upgrade for the oil pump to crank mount to alleviate the pressure on the gears as it heats up. Not a lot of information on this that I can tell, its interesting tho.

Yep... I've been saying for years, that the plastic gear isn't all that bad... and the reason it fails is because the engine is on the verge of overheating. That, in turn, binds the pump shaft gear.

Were was the info on the new bushing? What they needed to do is make a bearing support on the end of the pump shaft. It spins slow, and would have plenty of oil... and could run hotter and smoother.

That's where I found a comment on the bushing, there was another site that said about the same but I cant find it again.

Thanks for the info. I seem to remember seeing that a few years back. I don't think I replaced the one in my engine... but then again... my failure wasn't an oil issue, it was a blown rod from a failed bolt. (LOL... I said blown rod) Mine was 10 years old, and being used as a rental boat. SO it as abused. (cheap oil, and lots of full throttle) My engine now is almost 7 years old, and I treat it good.

I know it's something people always complain about... but in all the melted engines I've seen, only a few had oil issues because of that gear. I did see one, that gave up, and the gear was ugly... but there was clearly oil in it still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back