RESTO 2000 GTX RFI issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcgop

This ski has been running great since I bought it late last year. Just started acting up. When I give it WOT it runs up to around 4000 RPM and just sits there for 5 to 15 seconds, then it kicks in and runs great. Around 50 mph. Acts worse under more load, like 2 or 3 people on ski or pulling kids on tube. Compression check showed 145 front and 150 rear. Battery voltage was 13.17 before starting and 13.50 on trailer at 3500 rpm. From what I read that shouldn't indicate rectifier problem. Not sure if rectifier is upgraded or stock. Any ideas what else to check that could be causing hesitation? Or could this still be a rectifier issue causing limp mode then overcomes issue?

I failed to mention that I started this season by pulling the fuel pump assembly, replacing the filters and replacing with new Bosch fuel pump. Should I still check the fuel pressure?

I guess the fuel pressure regulator could cause a problem. I need to make a rig to test fuel pressure on my RFIs. I would replace the rectifier just because. I've done 2 RFIs and both seemed to have an issue with running bad... then running good. On the 2001 I am restoring it gave me a little trouble during my water test. Spit and sputter for a bit then drop the hammer and it would take off. I replaced the rectifier. We'll see what it does. They are cheap enough. You might want to give that a shot. Good Luck !!

Thanks! I was leaning toward replacing the rectifier. It is like 4400 rpm is a magic number, then it runs great. Please let me know if that fixes your problem and I will do the same.

I did that too 2 RFIs that was giving me intermittent "unable to comply" to throttle responses Skis recovered well but that wasn't the only work I did.

Think I’m have the same issue 02 RFI hard to start in water. Once started give full throttle it bogs catches up then takes off top speed then back to idle and dies

How do your Rave valves look??

Did you see my post with the Fuel Injector information before and after cleaning? Those injectors were removed from a running ski that had just.... quit running.

Mine idles fine and never dies. Starts right up. Funny you asked about the Raves. I have another post on that. They are clean and move freely by hand. Solenoid is working but swapped it to be sure. One way valve changed. I'm convinced they are not working. Max rpm is around 6750 and max speed is 50 to 51. I believe if Raves were opening I would get 7200 rpm and around 55 to 56 mph. I bypassed solenoid and ran it. I removed caps and springs and ran it. No difference good or bad. I don't think I am getting positive pressure from the engine or signal from the MPEM but haven't figured out how to test either. For this season I was just going to be happy with the performance until this new problem popped up.

I mentioned previously in other posts. I've tested 3 RFIs, 48mph on the GPS is what I've seen. I saw 6950 RPM on a 2001 GTX RFI I am currently finishing up on. I was going 44 mph on the GPS. Replaced the wear ring and it now does about 48mph on the GPS. I didn't check the RPM but I can do that next week. I keep reading about this 55mph number and I sure haven't seen anything close. I have two personal carbureted GTXs and I tried everything I could to get book speed out of them and mine does 48mph my wife's is a little faster. I have a third GTX carbed 787 I'm working on right now. I'll bet my wife's ski will be faster than that one as well.

I did see a solid 55 mph on a GTX recently. It was a 1998 GTX Limited with the 951. That was GPS MPH. :D
Good Luck.

Good to know! I can't figure out what the Raves do then. I have also driven with the solenoid unplugged. Absolutely no difference in performance. I had an XP with the 951 and I could feel when the Raves opened and it would run about 10 mph faster.
Back to my current problem. Does anyone know if the TPS can go out of adjust without removing it? I know if it is removed and replaced it has to be set up through the Candoo. I believe that is accurate.

Raves typically open about 4500 rpm.
Old racers used to make a nickel size hole in the plastic covers so they could watch the valve open to set the exact rpm they wanted. The hole will not harm anything if you wanted to make one to see if they are opening.

If they don't open the ski will kind of stick around the 5,000 rmp mark and not want to rev out very well. IF they don't close you will have really bad bottom end. Sure sounds like yours have a big delay in opening.

I have found the rave valve action on the RFI is so smooth it is difficult to tell they are working. On my carbed models 96/97 there is a big jump in power when they open. Very noticeable. Acceleration would be crap if they were not opening properly.

Concerning you unplugging the rave solenoid... that would not prevent the raves from opening to some degree, as you experienced.....

Last edited:
That is great information! I am starting to think my hesitation issue could be TPS related. Can anyone chime in on that?

Took the 2001 RFI out today for testing. Didn't reach 6900RPM.... I saw about 6870 at most but I wasn't watching real close as I was checking other things as well. Speedometer said 55mph but I'm not buyin it. :) All the riders agreed it was running strong though. I'll check that with the GPS Hope this helps the OP.

If I can tag along with this thread without offending anyone.... I think the TPI is bad on this ski or I have a fuel delivery problem (rebuilt injectors and replaced filters). I had this issue on a 1999 RFI. When I hold the throttle steady the RPM changes and those changes are easily heard in the sound of the engine. I will 50 or so RPM then 100 and come back up. It is sporadic. I haven't check the fuel pressure yet... no tool.

Also when I start the ski it doesn't come right up to speed and idle well. After starting it clears up pretty quick about 30 seconds if that.

So to follow up on my issue, I changed the TPS and had it programmed today. Seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you to all who gave input!

Good news.

On my end, I replaced my TPS today with a used one... LOL... so we'll see where that goes. I'll have to program it tomorrow with the Candoo thing.

Did the TPS set a code or turn the light on? I found a small tear in a rave valve vacuum line not sure if that would do it, took exhaust apart, running on the trailer with the rubber cross over tube off hand lightly over resonator mine chokes up and stalls. Maybe TPS as well loading up cylinders.

It is very difficult to troubleshoot a ski that is not in the water. That's where little problems become big ones and they easier spot. I don't think you could spot a rave valve issue performance-wise on the trailer.

What color are your spark plugs? First thing I'd do is change the fuel filters in the tank and get the injectors serviced unless you did that already. If you have a tool you can check fuel pressure.

Did you do a compression check?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back