2000 GTX ME...lost my top end speed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

parks777

I purchased two identical 2000 GTX Millenium Edition skis with the 947 engine about 6 months ago and they have been running fine. On Saturday, we took them out and cruised for about 30 minutes. On the way back home, I opened mine up to full throttle and it started running rough and topped out at about 5600 RPM (normal WOT is about 6500). It also started idling really low and stalled when I released the throttle.

Sounded like a fuel problem to me, and I knew about the gray fuel line issues from reading previous posts, so I thought it was time to bite the bullet and do some work on the ski. Here's what I've done so far:
1) replaced the gray fuel supply lines with automotive fuel line
2) went ahead and repaired the fuel sender by removing the fuse and soldering over it
3) cleaned the inline fuel filter -- didn't look too bad, but there were some tiny bits of blue plastic in the bowl (not sure what that could be)
4) pulled the carbs and cleaned the filters (did not rebuild carbs)-- at this point I was surprised because the filters were amazingly clean; set the low speed adjusters at 1-1/2 turns out, left the high-speed adjusters at center of their movable range, and set the idle screw so that out of water idle speed was 3000
5) took it back out to the water -- and experienced virtually the same issues -- it is not running rough anymore, but I'm still topping out at 5600 and basically stalling when i let off the throttle

Previously, the ski would run at about 5600 with the throttle at 80%, then when you put it all the way down, you would feel a surge of power and it would kick up to about 6500 RPM. I am no longer feeling any surge when I go from 80% to 100% throttle.

SOOOO, what else do I need to try?

Those tiny bits you found are probably the wonderful fuel line breaking down. Inline fuel filters are a good idea so the junk doesnt end up in your carbs.

Just for fun have you done a compression check?

I forgot to mention that I also replaced the spark plugs and gapped them at .020". Any help? I'm hearing crickets here...

I pulled and cleaned the RAVEs last night -- will water test today. Is it common for the bellows to have a fair amount of oil inside them? (see pics)

Attachments

• 081000_1641[02].jpg
    081000_1641[02].jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 081000_1643[02].jpg
    081000_1643[02].jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
I pulled and cleaned the RAVEs last night -- will water test today. Is it common for the bellows to have a fair amount of oil inside them? (see pics)

Yup... that's one reason they need cleaned all the time.

But, as said above... check your compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back