2000 gtx 787 rfi fouling plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwcrews

Hi, I am brand new to the forum and jet skis. I bought this ski knowing it had an issue for $1200, took it to the ski doo shop which basically said it just needs running. I know it sat for a long time (couple years) before the previous owner tried to use it. It has a new battery, mfem, oil tank, tps has been checked. It keeps fouling plugs after about :45 to an hour of time. The plugs appear wet. Today I did a compression check and get 135 front/137rear. The last run last week, I noticed a tinning sound at higher rpm, so I kept speed/Rpms down and returned. No warning sounds or lights present. It runs really great for first half hour to :45mins, top speed around 52 with 200lbs rider. Any comments welcome.

Thanks for the great forum,
D Crews

Thanks for the reply, they are wet fouled. It's the official sea doo oil at present. I've only put ~7 hours since purchase and the shop filled with their oil during the work done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't yet received the injectors, but decided to go out yesterday with a clean set of plugs. Ski wouldn't start. The starter turned, but didn't engage. Tried several times. Brought ski home to investigate. What I found may or may not have anything to do with the starter, but the lower case housing is broken around the counterbalance shaft. It's obvious it's been broken for a while. The entire counterbalance gear is exposed.
How does this thing even run in that condition? Obviously, the engine is toast, so based on this skis age, boat in average condition, and my initial investment, $1250, including trailer, what are your opinions. Sell as is, or invest in a reman? If reman, will my broken case be acceptable to SBT or others. It is an SBT, I found the sticker. I'm still baffled as to how the thing ran before, and without any banging or grinding noises.

Thanks for all advice.

you have 1250 in the ski, new motor=1000 -1100. wont be long before you have 3 grand invested = more than the ski is worth. i had a gsx rfi that i had 3 grand invested (practically new everything) and wouldn't start in the water, but ran great once started. it's a crap shoot at best. i would part it out and buy carb'ed model that is easier to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back