2000 Challenger Turns Over but won't Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I am hoping that someone might be able to steer me in the right direction with an issue I am having with my 2000 Seadoo Challenger with the 210HP Mercury 6 Cylinder engine.

The boat was running fine and without issues but the starter sometimes would not kick when you went to turn it over. Thinking that the starter had a flat spot, I replaced it a couple of weeks ago thinking that this would fix the issue. Since the replacement, the engine will turn over but not start. Nothing was disturbed except the main feed and ground wires and although there are several ground wires connected to the starter mount nothing looks to have been missed. I have checked all of the fuses, checked the ground connections to the major components both mechanically and with a resistance meter, and did a partial point to point wiring check and everything seems to be OK.

I am not getting any spark and the priming pump does not look to be getting power.

It looks like these are controlled by the ECM and I am considering replacing it but do not understand why replacing the starter would have started this catastrophic failure. I did replace both switch boxes already with no change in my issue.

You are all a great source of knowledge and hope that someone might be able to direct me where my issue might be and what I did wrong.

Thank you for your guidance.
Mike

Check the 2 yellow wires coming from the stator; they carry a lot of weight with the boat start/run... when they’re too close together, even with the marine butt splice, they have a tendency to arc across, causing it to not continuously run...(I’ve used hi temp glass tape to solve heat issues around the harnesses)..also there’s a good chance the stator took a crap at the same time...I lost my starter and stator within a couple of days of one another last year..from an electrical engineering standpoint; eventually the weakest link will fail through these older ignition/charge run systems...

Also go to manualslib.com and download a complete manual for your boat for free!

Thank you for your help.
I metered out the components and found that the stator was blown.
Will take your advise on the yellow wires also.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back