2000 challenger speed sensor part number

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thralldemon

Hi.. . My 2000 challenger speedometer works intermittently (works less than more.. occasionally while driving it will read your speed)
I'm looking to fix this . Or see if others has had the same issue.
Would it be the speed sensor? (Spins freely)
Wiring?
Or gauge?
I can't find the part numbers online

Any help would be great

Electronic parts list says p/n 278000970 fits 2000 Challenger 2000

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...&d=-ELECTRICAL---FUSE-BOX-W/LIGHTS/BILGE-PUMP

Looks the same as used on my boat and yes mine has failed electrically before, twice. The replacement failed within a year so instead of buying another, I repaired the original and it's been working with no problems now for three seasons.

They're getting more difficult to come by last I checked unless now there are new reproductions so having a spare isn't such a bad idea anyway.

I'm going through the same issue.... just ordered a used replacement speed sensor.

However, I'm interested to find out what you did to repair your original sensor?

In the case of speed sensor 204470557/278001595 for my 2001 sportster, an 1/2W 5.6Volt zener diode and a 3-pin SS41 Hall effect IC are wired as shown in this schematic. I drew this onto the SS41 manufacturers datasheet. Soldering skills are advised.

In case of lake temp sensor, the 10k Ohm NTC thermal resistor is only needed in case you need the temperature gauge function (uses Tan/Orange 3rd conductor), which I didn't. Thus I cannot positively confirm this resistor is the correct one but according to the math and datasheet it should work.

I used a hot melt glue gun to re-pot the replacement circuit.

Attachments

• Speedometer Sensor Hall Effect.jpg
    Speedometer Sensor Hall Effect.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 24
I guess you can probably find those parts (zener diode and hall effect circuit) at an Electronics Surplus store or somewhere?

These are pretty common parts I expect any decent electronics supplier carries, perhaps not Radio Shack tho.

On EBay the components are dirt cheap so I bought them from an ebay seller as a set of several (10 of each, maybe?) for a few bucks total including shipping from China, which took a couple weeks. I tossed the extras in with my other e-parts.

Pretty sure production is actually in China these days, not here.

SS41 Hall Effect IC
1/2 Watt 5.6 Volt zener diode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back