2000 Challenger 1800 -- Glove Box

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

henryb

My 2000 Seadoo Challenger 1800 did not come with a Glove Box cover, is there anyone that knows of a place to get used replacements, as I can imagine if they are even still available from Seadoo, that brand new ones would be quite expensive?

Thanks,
Brent.

EBAY. Also, this uses 2 stainless steel hinges ( I was able to reuse mine) and 8 stainless pop riviets 4 1/8" by .25" and 4 1/8" by .5". the .5 inch ones go toward the body the shorter ones to the glove box door. I got them at west marine and fastenal for 1/2 of what the seadoo dealers wanted.

EBAY. Also, this uses 2 stainless steel hinges ( I was able to reuse mine) and 8 stainless pop riviets 4 1/8" by .25" and 4 1/8" by .5". the .5 inch ones go toward the body the shorter ones to the glove box door. I got them at west marine and fastenal for 1/2 of what the seadoo dealers wanted.
Thanks for the update, I checked eBay and nothing listed there now, but I will keep an eye for one.

I found a Glove Box cover on eBay today, but it was Green. I'm wondering if these Glove Box covers could be painted to match the Burgundy on my boat?

I've painted the plastic parts of the boats. Shouldn't be an issue. Is yours soft, or hard plastic?

I ordered the green glove box cover from eBay today. I will see if I can remove the decal and the lock and repaint it to match the burgundy trim on the boat. I was wondering if there are alternatives to rivets... could you use self-tapping screws or a long bolt and nut? Is there access on the inside of the mounting point for the hinges? The glove box cover that I bought has one hinge in-tact and one hinge is broken, so I will need to replace at least one of those.

I looks like the used glove box cover is in the locked position? Any ideas in getting it out of lock, without the original key?

Turns out the button was not in the locked position, it was just a bit stiff, probably has not been used in years. A little WD-40 and it's operating normally again.

Also the Burgundy paint turned out to be a near exact match! I initially removed the Decal from the cover... Came off nicely with the use of a hair-dryer. But the logo was different... from another model year and was also trimmed up with green... So I decided to leave it off.

Replaced one of the hinges with a brass unit. Used appropriately sized screws instead of rivets... Miraculously the holes lined up perfectly, worked fantastic.

The biggest job was getting the latch to line up just right... after about an hour of fiddling with that, it closes perfectly now and with a perfect colour match, it is as good as new!

The other bonus was that the radio made a bit of a vibration noise at about 3000 RPM's... With the cover on, you can't hear the noise anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, certainly not the best design I've ever seen. The thing I don't like, is that you can't go directly to a channel, you have scan and the try and get it to stop on the right channel? If someone knows how to step from one frequency to another... Please let's know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back