2 Q's: Fiberglass Renewal & Pump Rattle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwittema

Hi All,

I have a few questions about my jet pump.

1.) Is there a service out there to restore fiberglass hulls to the smooth finish they once had? I don't care much about looks, but a smoothed clear coat to cover all the scratches from beaching would be nice for my old girl. What would be a rough cost estimate? I am mechanically skilled for an average person, and my father is a very skilled auto/boat mechanic. I am not comfortable doing fiberglass work unless others suggest it is intermediate or easier.

2.) When my ski is started on land w/hose attached (or when jumping waves) I hear a lot of loud metal rattling in the back. I believe this is the nozzle/steering assembly which is bolted on tight, but has loose play to it. Is this normal?

A link to my YouTube is below, this is my ski after replacing the pump/head gasket etc. The white smoke is b/c I used Marvel Mystery oil thinking the pistons were seized when in reality it was the old pump that froze.

youtube.com/watch?v=yC_n1p-n9Mo

Thank you for any help!

~Nick

I did my hull this past March. There are other threads out there on this, but I bought a gelcoat repair kit from Spectrum Color. They sell factory matched kits for Seadoos as well as other boats/skis. You have to call them because their website is not working, but you can get their info there. I have ordered from them twice in the past 6 months. Price is about $35 shipped for the kit.

Another company that does the same is Gelcote International.

What I did was start with a rough sandpaper to sand the scratches on the bottom of the hull. Then apply the gelcoat, let dry. I then started with maybe 200 grit paper to quickly get the high spots down on the gelcoat I applied. Then moved to wet sanding with 600 grit...1200 grit... and I finished sanding with 2000 grit paper. This is gonna give you a very smooth finish. I finally used some fine rubbing compound to remove any remaining scratches. Looks good as new and you cannot tell where I applied the gelcoat.

As I said, there are other posts on here for doing this with pics. I think Rampage posted up some pics of his work.

EDIT: I sanded the entire hull with the finer grit sandpaper and compound, even in spots that I did not have to apply gelcoat. This will restore the shine to your hull. Also, for larger jobs, you can buy larger quantities of the factory matched gelcoat.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.) When my ski is started on land w/hose attached (or when jumping waves) I hear a lot of loud metal rattling in the back. I believe this is the nozzle/steering assembly which is bolted on tight, but has loose play to it. Is this normal?

A rattle from the pump while not under load is normal. They do make an anti-rattle kit if it bothers you too much.

If you have any lake water stains or scuffs I use Purple Power or Purple Magic that you can get from Wal-Mart. You can really tell the difference and if you wax your PWC it will make it smoother.

Yeah the gel cote is easy to work on. There are lots of videos on youtube. I bought the factory match kit for my boat, but for the underside of a PWC, you could save a few bucks and get a universal type kit for like 20 bucks.

I'd say it looks like a winter project for me, but it says I need 70-80 degrees to do it! maybe next spring.... I've blown 2 engines this summer... (so far)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back