1999 Sportster 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

redwing2019

New to the forum. I recently purchased a 99 Sportster 1800. It is in near mint condition. I purchased from an older couple that didn't use it very often. It was always stored in the garage. I have had it out on the water twice. It rides very well in my opinion. This is the first boat I have owned and I am quite impressed. A couple things I have noticed: The throttle levers are not perfectly synced. The have to be offset slightly in order to keep both engines at the same RPM's. Is this an easy fix? I would guess it is something with the cable adjustment to the carbs? Second, when traveling at really low speeds the bow stays up and wont really plane out. It doesn't really bother me but it bothers my wife because she cant see in front of her. Once I give it some throttle it planes out super quick and is fine after that. I wasn't sure if this is normal for these jet boats to do that at low speeds. I do not have trim control on this boat but would it be something that could be easily added? Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• SAM_7752.JPG
    SAM_7752.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 32
  • SAM_7763.JPG
    SAM_7763.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
  • SAM_7772.JPG
    SAM_7772.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 29
  • SAM_7775.JPG
    SAM_7775.JPG
  • SAM_7779.JPG
    SAM_7779.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
  • SAM_7759.JPG
    SAM_7759.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 32
  • SAM_7775.JPG
    SAM_7775.JPG
That thing looks brand new!

Pretty common for the bow to come up on a boat before it gets up on plane and levels out.

Bow rise is normal for every boat and is effected by hull rocker shape, length, etc.. Generally a boat with less rocker rises less but affordability, overall performance and safety are always a balancing act for the design teams. They're pros and spend big$$/hours developing hull designs using complex modeling, it's doubtful bolting something on afterward will actually improve overall performance in most cases and may even detract.

I find a higher seating position helps improve the view over the helm.

A couple ways to reduce bow rise is by extending the hull and/or by shifting weight forward.

Hull Shapes: Rocker Shape | US | Boat Ed.com™

Wow, that's a real real time capsule. When most boat owners let the the cosmetics go to hell, you can bet they didn't keep up on regular maintenance either. Somebody REALLY took care of yours. Check out Nauticus smart tabs for your bow rise problem. You'll see many very positive experiences from owners of boats like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back