1999 Seadoo Speedster SK Fuel Gauge Prob

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie1

The fuel gauge on our Speedster SK isn't working but the oil light and the rest of the gauges are. Can anyone tell me of a simple fix for this or do I need to replace the sending unit? I've had the boat about year and after a lengthy title issue I finally got it legal and ready for the water. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the seadoo forum Donnie1. You need to check the Pink and Pink/Black wire coming out of the baffle tube in the gas tank. The sending unit works off resistance. Pull the plug apart at the tank, and use an ohm meter to check for resistance between the two pink wires. The resistance will be different depending on how much fuel is in the fuel tank. If you get no resistance, remove the clamps off the sender, and pull the sending unit out of the fuel tank. Check the magnets on the float in the sending unit. To get to the float out, pop the bottom off and look for the 4 magnets on the float. If they are missing use a strong magnet to get them out of the tank bottom. If they are dirty clean them and re-insert it back in the baffle tube and check the wires again to check for readings of resistance depending on where the float is in the baffle tube. If still no reading of resistance replace the sender. If you get readings, check continuity of wiring to gauge. If all wiring checks out ok the gauge is bad. Keep me posted on your progress.

If you need a repair manual you could join as a "premium member". As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and privet use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too.

Karl

Thanks for the advice Karl. i'll take a look at all those items you mentioned. I'm leaning towards the magnets or the float fuel logged because it sat for 3 yrs unwinterized before I bought it. I had it gone through by the local dealer and they said it ran great and checked out completely. We had it out 1 time last year and it runs awesome.

seadoo speedster sk wiring

hello i see you have a speedster sk, i have one just like yours. i was wondering if you could help me out alittle bit. i have two wires that hang down from the main wire loom that goes into the MPEM(they hang between the battery and the drivers side air cleaner) about 4 inches toward the battery from the MPEM they are spliced out of the loom(they are suppose to be there). They are a green and a black wire both with closed loops on the end of them. could you tell me where they go, i was told possibly the battery or grounded to something in the area of the battery. i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back