1999 Seadoo Speedster / First Boat?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nman729

Hello all, I have been shopping around for a bit for a Seadoo jet boat. I have settled on the 99 speedster style for the better seat types and the dual engines. I went out to view one today and it was actually in pretty decent shape. He started it up for me and everything seemed great. At least to my knowledge since I am a boating NOOB.

Owner claims that it has been recently serviced, has all recepits which he showed me, and the starboard engine was completely replaced. I did not check compression, as I didnt want to seem to forward and wrench on a boat that isnt mine. Seats are in good shape, with a few minor cracks. Comes with a biminy top, cover and trailer. All lights work including nav lights, however stereo is not working, not sure if its head unit or speakers themselves. The only concern I have is that how soon will the port engine need a rebuild? Also, one of the blower caps (intake or exhaust not sure) on the port side is missing / broke off. Also, there is a fiberglass ding/hole about 2 inches in diameter way above the water line. Trailer also looks to be in pretty good shape.

He is asking $4,700 which I feel is a good price based on other listings in my area. I also felt good because he had a good looking shop in his garage with several seadoo / other PWC in good shape he claimed to be working on. He states that he does engine work on the skiis, not body work.

Anyways, I really like the boat and think its a good buy. Not great, but good, just wanted to get some professional opinions before I pull the trigger. Located in Northeast Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which model, the twin 787s or the SK with twin 717s?

You really have to do a compression test to give you any indication of engine health, then at least a 15 minute test ride.

Price is not bad if interior is good, mechanically solid, and has the 787s. I'm building a 98 speedster now.

I assume you are looking at this one (I'm in Ohio as well).

1999 Seadoo Speedster JET BOAT Sea Doo 17' - $4900
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/6172032890.html

Seats look average, that hole is going to take some work to repair, and honestly the engine bay looks a little dirty for someone who works on these.

If it runs well and has good compression I'd try and get him down closer to 4k. I bought mine in basically the same shape bit no hole, one engine slightly low on compression for 2k but it was also november.

Twin 787s for sure. Interior is pretty decent. No cracks or tears on the seats. I will ask for a test ride next, but im not sure he has insurance on it and it's been sitting since last October. Is it common for sellers to allow a test ride with a potential buyer?

00D0D_a6f95oSK6cX_600x450.jpg

Yeah, he said he took it in on a trade for some skiis. So I don't think he has done any work on it and I think he just wants it gone. I asked what the rock bottom price is and he said $4700 was rock bottom so I'm not sure.

I don't think its terrible price. I just paid 4500 for a 96. Similar deal, boat sat for about 5 yrs, the guy spent about 2 grand to get the engines back running. It's been fine for a few months however now that current is running through the wiring and the boat is being used I am running into a few issues. Just had to redo the battery cables and before that one of the coils went bad. Still I've only put in $100 for those repairs and hopefully get to the water this weekend. I did not do a compression check but the guy did take me around the lake for about 30 mins

Yes, a water test is very common unless you are far from any body of water. Any seller reluctant to do so may be hiding something. Engines can start and run perfectly on the trailer but it's a whole different story under load on the lake.

If he's done no work you are probably in for the typical carb rebuilds and checking things over. If you are handy and can do your own maintenance I'd go for it. If not I'd stay away as you'll rack up repair/maintenance bills very quickly.

I bought mine knowing I was doing a complete rebuild and overhaul of everything but it's gotten very expensive.

Yes, a water test is very common unless you are far from any body of water. Any seller reluctant to do so may be hiding something. Engines can start and run perfectly on the trailer but it's a whole different story under load on the lake.

So, I spoke to him again today. He agreed to a water test, and said its OK to test compression. I will feel a lot better if I know what is working (lights, gauges etc) and what is not. Also I want to make sure reverse/ full throttle and everything works OK. Any advice on more specific things too look out for (or even obvious ones)?

Also, I feel that if I'm on the boat and things aren't working the way they should, those are reasons to ask for a lower price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is riveted, but still easy to replace. If yours is held on by screws mine must not be OEM since you've had urs since new.

Well, I bought it. Compression was 150 in all cylinders, perfect. Ran fine on the water only thing was port tach doesn't work and trailer lights are not working. Hoping to tow it home tomorrow, get the registration and title sorted and maybe be on the water Thursday. I'll post more pics later!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back