1999 Sea-Doo Speedster Twin

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just bought a 1999 Sea-Doo Speedster with the Twin Rotax and noticed the shifter was a bit rough going into gears ( F-N-R) I think the cable had finally seized on it yesterday.

Q-1...Regardless of the seized cable, I took the shifting column off today and noticed that it was bent, although looking online at new they are not. Any ideas why this would be? Photo attached.

Q-2... At the gate end of the cable it looks to be separated and may be why the shifter springs back to neutral from reverse ( possibly seized cable as well) Just wondering if I’m close?

Q-3.... looking online at new cables they mention right reverse or left reverse cables. I assume this is the entire shifting cable...but what is the difference beween left and right.
Is this for shifter on left or ight of the shifter console? Mine is on the left, with the 2 throttles to the right???

Thanks for your timeCFEC459C-B80C-4994-B467-7E5F35F1D625.jpeg2B7643DA-8087-4BC3-819C-F8B7B3214A35.jpeg

The reverse cable at the pump is always on the left side. I would disconnect the cable at the pump, and see if it binds. This will tell you if the problem is at the shifter or the cable.

is the 1999 speedster a twin engine or a twin cylinder? if it is a twin engine, the left and right in the parts online ordering refer to left and right cables for each left and right engine (my 1996 speedster has two cables each of different length to go to each separate gate). But i do not see a second cable in your photo so this does not make sense to me. If there is only one cable are you looking at the right model in the online ordering?

From what I have seen the 98+ speedsters had one shift cable with a joiner link tube thing that connected the two gates. They seem to have done a mid year switch in 97 because my 97 has two shift cables but the manual shows one cable and a connecting link.

that makes sense....so when ordering for a new cable make sure you purchase the correct side because they are different lengths going to the different gates if that is indeed broken where it goes through the transom. And you will then need the single cable (the one that is bent) that goes from the shifter to where it connects to the two separate cables (each going to the left and right gates)

He should have just the single shift cable from transom to shifter, no need for two if he has the connector pipe for the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back