1999 Sea Doo GTX RFI - Engine Removal (hints and tips, please)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIBoater

Per my posts in the "Top end rebuild" thread, it looks like I need to pull the engine, but I have never done this before... I know it's just "remove the wires, tubes and shaft, undo the 3 bolts holding it to the mounts and lift, but, for those who do this every day, are there any gotchas? Things you HAVE to remove before removing the engine (beyond the obvious like exhaust and air intake)?... any hoses/electrical connections that are tricky to get to?... I was daunted by the top end rebuild but that went well, so I know I'm up to it... just could use some direction from those who have done this before? Thanks in advance!

Remove the Jet pump. Before you remove the jet pump remove the clip holding the stationary stainless steel mating ring (what some call the hat) If you don't pull the pump and shaft first you'll fight the hell out of that thing trying to get the shaft to come out of the PTO. Pull the carbs and exhaust of course. You can leave the exhaust manitold in place as it has a nice place to hook a cable or rope. You might want to remove the rear motor mount after you get the engine up but it isn't necessary. Pull the wires off the starter, the ground and disconnect the water hose under the cylinders. Be VERY CAREFUL with the hose coming of the Mag housing. They are usually very stiff and it is easy to break the fitting coming off the housing. Leave that hose in place and don't let the engine's weight sit on that hose. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the engine NOT to let anything contact the Rave Valve Solenoid. Those little connections breat very easily. Just be gentle and careful with everything. Good Luck !!

Remove the Jet pump. Before you remove the jet pump remove the clip holding the stationary stainless steel mating ring (what some call the hat) If you don't pull the pump and shaft first you'll fight the hell out of that thing trying to get the shaft to come out of the PTO. Pull the carbs and exhaust of course. You can leave the exhaust manitold in place as it has a nice place to hook a cable or rope. You might want to remove the rear motor mount after you get the engine up but it isn't necessary. Pull the wires off the starter, the ground and disconnect the water hose under the cylinders. Be VERY CAREFUL with the hose coming of the Mag housing. They are usually very stiff and it is easy to break the fitting coming off the housing. Leave that hose in place and don't let the engine's weight sit on that hose. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the engine NOT to let anything contact the Rave Valve Solenoid. Those little connections breat very easily. Just be gentle and careful with everything. Good Luck !!
Thanks for the blow-by-blow… much appreciated… will let you know how I make out!

I've learned that if I don't want to be on Ebay buying parts.... I have to be gentle no matter how unfriendly the ski is to disassemble. :)

I finally got the new engine, so hoping to start the reinstall this week… does anyone know where I can rent an engine alignment tool?… seems excessive to buy one just for one use… or are there any other tricks I can use instead to align the new engine?… by the way @etemplet despite being super-careful, the rave solenoid took a beating so need a new one

I finally got the new engine, so hoping to start the reinstall this week… does anyone know where I can rent an engine alignment tool?… seems excessive to buy one just for one use… or are there any other tricks I can use instead to align the new engine?… by the way @etemplet despite being super-careful, the rave solenoid took a beating so need a new one
Those things are so fragile and they are very proud of them too. I sometimes remove the solenoid "first If I am removing the engine. One bump and they are done. They are getting more and more expensive but so is everything else to do with these skis. Aftermarket vendors are having a feeding frenzy and making a killing.

WOW I just checked, looks like you can still buy them (270600005) from Seadoo. $84. Not bad at all. At least you can find one.

Last edited:
Those things are so fragile and they are very proud of them too. I sometimes remove the solenoid "first If I am removing the engine. One bump and they are done. They are getting more and more expensive but so is everything else to do with these skis. Aftermarket vendors are having a feeding frenzy and making a killing.

WOW I just checked, looks like you can still buy them (270600005) from Seadoo. $84. Not bad at all. At least you can find one.
Yup I have the new rave solenoid being delivered today… the engine also “took out” the mounting bracket that was stuck to the side of the hull with some kind of green goop… do you know what’s the best stuff to glue it back in place? Clearly I’ll clean all surfaces first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back