1999 GTX RFI won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlahmann

'99 GTX RFI. (787 motor). Intermittent problem is now permanent.

Every once in a while (hot or cold) when you pushed the start button, it would try to turn over, but stop. If you tried it two or three times, it would eventually
"catch", turn over fine and start fine. Thought I had a battery "dying". Battery at a solid 12.7V. Then (though no "low voltage" warning light) I thought maybe I was getting into rectifier going bad. Tested it today on trailer. Solid 13.4V at 5500 RPM. Take it to the lake (2 hrs later). Nothing. Push the starter, tries to turn over, won't go. Almost like too much compression. So, I pulled the plugs tonight when I got home (thank god for two machines so the trip wasn't a complete bust) I pulled the plugs, hit the starter, and it turns over just fine. Put the plugs back in. Nothing. Like it can't handle the compression. So, my question is obviously: "how come"? Is there some sort of compression release that isn't working? Is it a stuck RAVE valve (not letting the exhaust out)? I've searched and can't seam to find any pics or good descriptions for cleaning/checking RAVE valve operations. Am I going in the wrong direction? Again...
- good battery
- will not turn over with plugs installed
- turns over free and easy with plugs pulled.
- fuel pump is acting normal. (runs approx. 1 sec when key attached).

Thanks, and I appreciate any help.

Dwayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back