1999 Gtx Ltd Won't Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dank

I have a 1999 Seadoo GTX LTD. It has been sitting all winter. I just had a new starter and spark plugs put on it. I also bought a new battery. I took it out for a test ride the other day. It started right up and I rode it for about 10 mins and it ran perfect. I beached it for about 30mins and when I went to take it back out it would not start. It felt like the negative battery cable was very hot. I took the battery to a shop by the beach and they said it was weak and charged it for 2 hours. I put the battery back in and it would not start. I gave up and took it home and have been trying to start it in my garage and it won’t start. I took the battery back to Auto Zone and they said it was need a charge and again charged it for about 2 hours. I put the battery back in and it still did not start. I don’t know if this is significant or not, but when I bought the battery the box was wet and seemed like it had corrosion on it. I took the battery back to Auto Zone and they said it was good. When I first bought the battery they charged it for about 2 hours. Here is what happens when I try to start it:

*Put in key, short beeps
*Press the start button, it cranks 1-2 times, stops and I get 1 long beep

I have read several posts about charging your battery for at least 12 hours. My dad has a car battery charger that is 10Amps. Can I use that to charge the battery? If so, should I go ahead and charge the battery for 12 hours and see what happens?

I am not real good with mechanics so I really appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Thanks,
Dan

I am new to the forum but I just signed up for Premium Membership. I really need help with this.

One update is that I tried to jump across the solenoid and it didn't do anything, not even spark.

Please give me some idea!

Welcome to the seadoo forum dank. Here's what you should do first. Check the ground from the battery to the starter. Be sure it has a good connection. also you said you jumped the solenoid, it didn't do anything...It should of at least turned over the starter. If you get 2 beeps the DESS,(Digital Electronic Security System) is ready for it to start. If you get 1 long beep it means the Dess isn't communication to the MPEM,( Multi Purpose Electronic Module). Inside the lanyard cap is a ROM chip that needs to have a good connection to the dess post to communicate to the mpem. Here's what you need to do. Clean the post and cap with soap and water. Do not apply any grease or coatings of any kind. Check the negative- and the positive + connections to the starter. In the box with the solenoid is a 15 amp fuse. Make sure it's good. Try these tips and let me know what it's doing. We'll get it running.

Karl

you jumped the 2 big wires across the top of solenoid ang got nothing? not even a spark? your new starter may have died young. that should be covered by the guy that did the work.

well I tried all the tips you gave me, and I think my problem has something to do with the lanyard cap, because when i put the key in i get the two beeps and then i try and start it and it just cranks like 1-2 times and then i get the 1 long beep, so i ended up trying to hold the key down while i tried to start it and it cranks a lot longer now, it still won't start but it is a lot closer to starting when i hold the key down while trying to start it, i cleaned the cap real good and checked the fuse and it was good. Also i tried to jumping the solenoid again and this time it did turn over, i guess i wasn't pushing down hard enough when i tried it the first time. If theres anything else you think i can do, please let me know, THANKS

It sounds like you might have a bad post for that DESS lanyard. I'll try to post a test to see if the post is good or not, a little bit later tonight.

Karl

Dank here is the more detailed test of teh DESS post and lanyard;

Safety switch post/ lanyard/ DESS system

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed; connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.

Timer Verification;
The timer is integrated into the MPEM. Always confirm that the fuses are in good condition. To confirm operation of timer, remove the safety lanyard from switch. After 5 seconds delay, depress start/stop button once. The timer should stay on for 33 seconds (for example, the gauge(s) will be activated) and than turn off.

I hope this helps If you need more information let me know.

Karl

Hey I haven't had to much time to try them tests yet because I have been working 12 hr shifts, but I will have most of wednesday to try the tests and i will let you know what happend, and thanks again for all your help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back