1999 GTX LTD electrical issue (dies randomly)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ProTis

I have a 1999 GTX limited that I purchased about 7 years ago. About 3-4 years ago, the ski started to die randomly like the key had been pulled. It happens every min or so and does not matter the rpm or throttle position. So, for the last few years we've been trying to diagnose the issue. We have determined that it is not the des post or key, got new key and tried new des post. It is not a fuel issue, carbs rebuilt and all new fuel lines. The stator checks good. We thought maybe it was the computer module and purchased a new aftermarket one thru a local seadoo tech. When we got the module and tested it out, it would barely start and when any throttle was given it would backfire really bad. So we had the tech send the module back to try another one, in case the 1st new one was bad. When the 2nd new module arrived at the techs shop, the tech put it in a 99 ski that he had in for service and it ran great. So we took the ski up to his shop and put it in our ski and it backfired bad again. Then the tech put the module back into the ski it ran good in and it started to backfire bad. So I believe there is something else wrong that is killing new aftermarket modules. And, this is where I am at a loss. Would any have any ideas? Much appreciated, Thanks!

I have a 1999 GTX limited that I purchased about 7 years ago. About 3-4 years ago, the ski started to die randomly like the key had been pulled. It happens every min or so and does not matter the rpm or throttle position. So, for the last few years we've been trying to diagnose the issue. We have determined that it is not the des post or key, got new key and tried new des post. It is not a fuel issue, carbs rebuilt and all new fuel lines. The stator checks good. We thought maybe it was the computer module and purchased a new aftermarket one thru a local seadoo tech. When we got the module and tested it out, it would barely start and when any throttle was given it would backfire really bad. So we had the tech send the module back to try another one, in case the 1st new one was bad. When the 2nd new module arrived at the techs shop, the tech put it in a 99 ski that he had in for service and it ran great. So we took the ski up to his shop and put it in our ski and it backfired bad again. Then the tech put the module back into the ski it ran good in and it started to backfire bad. So I believe there is something else wrong that is killing new aftermarket modules. And, this is where I am at a loss. Would any have any ideas? Much appreciated, Thanks!
Bump

At any time was the magento removed / reinstalled?
If not correctly placed (and the correct 99-02 version) it will backfire. Don't ask me how I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back