1999 GSX/RFI 12v alarm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77802

Just had a new starter installed, now getting 12v light flashing, runs until battery goes down then stops. Rectifier? stator? any advice?

yes....

Yes, if you can, get a mulimeter and charge the battery. When your ready, start the doo and then use the meter to check the charging system by measuring the voltage at the battery. If the system is working good, you should be getting anywhere between 13.5-14 vdc. If not, the battery will read somewhere in the 12's..........
If you don't get a good reading, check your fuses first before replacing the rectifier/regulator.

The RFI uses a lot of power to operate the on board electronics, so low voltage will leave you dead in the water.....

Yes.....

Sorry, couldn't get back to you sooner. Maybe. Chances are that it's your problem. With the battery at rest, you should be getting about 12 VDC. When running, you should be getting 13.5 to 14 VDC. If not, then one of two things is bad in your charging system. Your stator (magneto) or your rectifier/regulator. 90% of the time, it's the rectifier. There is a test that you can perform to check the continuity of the stator, to be certain. But there isn't a test for the rectifier. To test the stator, you have to have a special plug or like me, remove the magneto cover to see the wires visually and test with your meter that way.
Like I said, 90% of the time, when you lose your charging circuit, it's the rectifier/regulator.

Part # 278001241 and at babbitts it'll cost you about $150 smacks

Last edited by a moderator:
seadoo tech has it for 69.00 doesnt have part number just that its for 787 rfi engine. Is this a reputable place?

probably....

Taking the chance. Is it possible that it can work.........50/50. Since your year model only crosses with the 99 model, you are taking a chance that it will work in your application.

I just crossed your number and your assembly has to be an 98 or 99 year rectifier. They made the 787 RFI engine from 1998 to 2005, so you are taking a chance that you are getting the right one, by buying without the part number if it's for the models from 2000 to 2005, it may not work.

Here's a link to another place I get my goods from. But I've checked and although he has the 97 GSX model, it's not the one for the RFI engines. But hey, you may find something in the future you could get from him. Or, you may drop him email and see if he can get it. He runs a "used" parts and new parts store from left over parts he purchases from businesses that close down. Here's the link. http://www.seadoosource.com/electrical.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Same 12v Low Problem

Just bought a 2001 GSX/RFI with reman engine. Charged the battery and had it on the lake (performing break-in) 20 min when 12v Low alarm came on. Will try test on battery when running. Thanks for the info.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back