1999 GSX Limited electrical issues.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrizen

Hi,

So I'm new to these forums and I'm hoping I can get some help. I just bought a 1999 GSX limited that had "electrical issues." When the key is inserted: no beeps, no nothing. I checked the MPEM and found that all fuses were about double the AMPS they should have been. I replaced all fuses and tried starting it again. The 7.5a fuse for the VTS blew itself up instantly, so I thought the MPEM was bad. I just bought a new one and got it installed. When you insert the new key: no beeps, no nothing. And the 7.5A fuse blew itself up again. I checked the VTS, and it looks fine. Any ideas to what's going wrong?

Well... I'd start with disconnecting the connectors to the VTS... that's a lot cheaper than a new MPEM. The VTS boot fails, gets the VTS wet inside, and fries... You can fix it after you fix the rest of it.

second, I'd check the buzzer in the handlebar assembly, as there may be beeps, but you aren't hearing them. These often fail too.

a double beep - correct key
Long single beep - incorrect key

if you changed MPEMs, did you new MPEM come with a key? the keys are a static code. the MPEM is programmed by a dealer to work with a key.

without a key on, do the gauges turn on when you press start? they should for about 30 seconds.

I tried disconnecting the VTS system, still nothing. The gauges won't light up, nothing at all. The last owner said he was riding it, and it just died all the sudden, not sure if that helps. The new MPEM came with its own key.

Following, as this is almost the same issue I'm having, except I haven't bought the new MPEM. I also disconnected the VTS motor inside the housing. Is there another connection that I may have missed. When I did this, I got her to turn over, with no start, and then it blew the 5 amp fuse.

I'm going to try tinkering around with the electronics later today and see if I can get it started. I'll post my results it I get it fixed. I think it's a problem with the VTS though.

I've have been told that a bad VTS can fry the MPEM. Hopefully, hats not the case. Unfortunately, I'm not an electrician, so I will struggle to find any faults. I did replace the battery, and when I get home, I'm going to try the old one after a good charge.

If the VTS fuse is blowing it is the VTS box that is bad. This is not from the motor. Unplugging the motor will not stop the fuses from blowing. You need to unplug the box. One big plug and one small plug from the back. If your MPEM is good I have learned that most electrical problems with these skis are from improper ground. Check all your ground wires. Make sure everything is grounded properly even the small wires up to the front of the engine that are ground to the stator cover. But check your ground wires and if possible add another. This has solved tons of electrical problems for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, success. I disconnected the VTS harness at the rear, and she ran with no issues. I will cap the ends off, and take her to the lake for a run. Thanks for the help!

I know, but I went into the VTS housing and disconnected it there. I didn't think to disconnect the harness. Thought it was just the motor itself. I appreciate all the help.

I believe the VTS has two connectors... One is power, the other gauge input and activation... You'd have to disconnect all for this to be valid.

Usually it's the circuit board that goes bad. Has a flat 6 pin connector I believe.

After unplugging the VTS, it beeps once, and only once. Gauges still don't work, but hey, at least I'm making progress.

It beeps when you plug the key in, and it will also beep when you press the start button. Just one short beep. Do you know what this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back