1999 GS stalls at full throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikeG

My 1999 GS starts well and easily, it idles well and will run at moderate throttle. About 3-8 seconds after opening it up, it stalls. This condition came on suddenly. The ski ran perfectly for the first months of the season. There was no erratic performance or tell sale signs that forecast an impending problem.

Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

Spike

I assume you do not have the gray tempo fuel lines.
How about a clogged in-line fuel filter or one that is too small?

You assume correctly regarding the "gray tempo" fuel lines. Can you please elaborate? Are the lines I am using inferior and prone to sloughing off debris and perhaps clogging the filter?

Also, you suggested too small a filter as a possible culprit. If it used to run fine at all speeds (including full out), it would seem like the filter size is adequate but maybe now there is restricted flow from dirt or debris or whatever. Do you agree with that?

By the way, thanks a lot for your response and help. I am somewhat of a boater but less familiar with jetskis.

Yes, the gray lines are crap. You must change them ASAP.

If it ran fine then probably the in-line filter is ok but make sure it's large size. Yours could be dirty.
A smaller in-line filter will possibly restrict the gas flow and cause a lean burn. I bought the Napa version of Fram G-12. It's large and see through. The filter under the hood isn't the best, but check it for debris. it looks like a white color pill bottle. (it leads from the fuel selector). Open it then clean it. Watch for gas spillage.

Follow this thread...see post #11 for fuel lines, but the whole thread is a good read for some one new.
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?4151-Snipes-Korner...&highlight=carbs

Thank you very much for the comments and the link. I will get all of this checked out as soon as I can. I live in Florida so it is always time to go out on the water, even in the fall and winter.

By the way, I also recently bought a Regal 176se Bowrider. 3.0 Volvo I/O. There is always something to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back