1999 Challenger 1800 won't turn over

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hkd123

Need some help. Got my 99 Challenger 1800 in the shop with an intermetent problem of not turning over.

Took the boat out in May. After burning the winterizing lube out it ran fine for about four hours. When I stopped the motor for a swim and tried to crank it up to go home. I could only get the left motor to crank just fine (Strong/ new battery). Right motor sounded like it was locked up. Pulled enough juce when the start button was pushed to kill the radio. I thought I had burned a pump. Brought it home, pulled the pump and it was fine. Pulled the plugs to take the compression off the motor and it turned over slowly and got better. Put the plugs back in and it cranked up fine. Cranked it several times-cranked fine.

Took it to the water weekend before last and the same thing happened to me except after pulling the plugs on the water it would only turn over very slowly and when the plugs were replaced nothing except for the big amp draw that kills the radio.

Took it to the shop, they told me there is nothing wrong with it. I know better. Any advice?

Sounds like a bad ground or positive lead going to the starter. Remove all the high current wires (disconnect the battery first) and make sure they're clean and making good contact.

Thank you

Pincusa,

Thanks for the response, I will definately give it a try.

Does this make sense? It would more likely be the positive high current wire because the radio could still get a ground from the other sources, and Left/good motor for proper grounding?

Again Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back