1998 sportster 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, boat been running great all season , today was givin her down the river when suddenly starboard side engine died ... limped back on the port side . Took a look at it and there is no spark , also the weird part is the rpm gauge Dose not move when starting . It cranks over fine . Port side runs fine . Port side rpm gauge works fine .. any thoughts ? Twin 720’s . Single mpem

That tach gets its signal ( gray wire) from the trigger/ pickup coil at the front of the engine. The trigger pickup coil sends its signal to the computer, and then to the coil in the small electrical box. Since you lost the tach and power at the same time, I would suggest you test/ check it out. Sometimes the pickup breaks off, or hangs. Do a resistance test, should be 180 to 300 ohms.( black/ yellow, and black) wires. The 3 yellow wires are the charging wires from the stator, that will not be your problem.

Where do I find these black/yellow and black wires ? I tested the black/red back wires and get 0oms on starboard side , on the port side I get 60oms , indicating Starboard ignition coil is no good.. found that on another thread. .. where is this other (pickup) coil located ? Would the rpm gauge not work if the ignition coil is bad ?

Last edited:
I humbly apologize for giving you wrong wire colours, I was thinking of my 785 motor. However, I suspect your trigger coil because that signal goes to your mpem and to your ignition coil, and also sends the rpm pulse to your tach thru a gray wire I believe. Find the ohms in the manual on here, I am not familiar off hand with the resistance on the 720 pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back