1998 Sportster 1800 Drive Shaft removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy and I are trying to remove our wear rings and carbon rings to fix some cavitation issues that we've had the past couple of years. (actually found a rock the size of a golf ball in the impelller so thinking that might help a good bit too). So we've got the wear rings under control, but we're having a bitch of a time gettting the drive shaft and thus carbon rings off. Does anyone have any suggestions, videos, sticky's, etc that I can review to figure out how in the hell to get this thing off?

You should be able to slide the stainless collar back and remove the metal c clip. If you have the pump off everything should come right out

Won't budge.I've beat on that collar (part 7 on the diagram) and it won't move. The drive shaft moves back, even where I can see the spines that go into the motor, but it just won't break free

You pull the collar back towards the boot and pull the c clip out. You can't get the collar to slide towards the boot? There should be need in beating on it

I dont see any clip. Guessing i's going to be under the front side of the collar.....Yeah pullled, prodded, hit with a screwdriver. Nothing. Can't get it to go forward or backwards

The collar slides up over the c clip, that is what holds everything in place. You should be able to slide it back, hold it there, and pull out the metal clip

You should be able to slide the stainless collar back and remove the metal c clip. If you have the pump off everything should come right out

Put the pump back in, THEN slide the stainless ring back, cut the o ring or remove the C clip. With the pump out your fighting an up hill battle.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

As soon as I read he could see the splines, I knew the pump was out. The shaft needs to be captured.

[video=youtube;97qJA8v1MZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97qJA8v1MZk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back