1998 SeaDoo GSX Limited 951_Modification

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctburke

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum and I was hoping to get some of your expert help.

I just bought a 98 GSX Limited with 72 hours on it. It currently doesn't run properly in that, the only way to keep it running is to choke it again and again. It seems the low speed jet in the carb might be clogged. I am having a mechanic we know come check it out and we'll probably just rebuild the carbs and it should run fine after that.

However, the reason for this post is I am hoping you guys could tell me what modificaitons this model needs. I read on here about the gray fuel lines and I think I read a few other things that need to be replaced, but I can't remember.

So, if you would, please list the things on this ski that really need to be upgraded.

Thanks!
Chris

yea

where are u getting that hour count from?

that's about 5 hr/s a year since new... somehow... i dont think they used it that little...

I put 300 hrs on mine and I live in PA.

that's about 5 hr/s a year since new... somehow... i dont think they used it that little...

It's on the digital odometer. It just wasn't used very much. It belonged to a guy who apparently died in jail. So for quite a while, it just sat. After the guy died, his mom sold it/gave it to the guy I eventually bought it from. He bought it for his son but his son never really got in to it. So it just wasn't used that much.

Apparently.

Really, how could I know? That is the story as told to me. But the digital odometer shows 72 hours and the guy I bought it from seems to be a really good guy. So who knows?

If the paint is still on the headbolts, then probably you have that many hrs on it, and the motors' never been opened up.

Replacethe grey fuel lines, clean the sleector valve, and change the pump oil. As far as rebuilding the carbs, just remove them, get a can of carb cleaner, break the carbs apart, and start cleaning/clearing the passages and jets, along with the internal carb filter....then go test ski out, and see if you still want to "mod" it.

Dont forget to clean the raves (black caps on motor). There a valve under each that gets carboned up, and will start sticking. Clean with wirebruch/wheel and re-install.

If the paint is still on the headbolts, then probably you have that many hrs on it, and the motors' never been opened up.

Replacethe grey fuel lines, clean the sleector valve, and change the pump oil. As far as rebuilding the carbs, just remove them, get a can of carb cleaner, break the carbs apart, and start cleaning/clearing the passages and jets, along with the internal carb filter....then go test ski out, and see if you still want to "mod" it.

Dont forget to clean the raves (black caps on motor). There a valve under each that gets carboned up, and will start sticking. Clean with wirebruch/wheel and re-install.

Awesome. That's exactly the info I'm looking for. Thanks!

fuel

make sure to top off the oil with new, and if it sat that long u may want to drain the fuel out to replace with fresh.

I'd get some new plugs as well. new plugs in this engine make a world of difference!

They are out there. A couple years ago I bought a 96 gsx with 50 hours. Last year, a 97 gsx with 72 hours. This year 2 2006's with 38 hours. I see more low hour skis up here than high hour.

One other thing to clean is the rave valves. And get that fuel out and replace it. It prob wouldnt be bad to do the same with the oil depending on how long it sat.

As far as modding...while you are doing the carbs you might want to switch to Fly flame arrestors and rejet the carbs. Mainly b/c the stock airbox blows to take off/get on.

Also an aftermarket prop is about the single best mod you can do. While you are in there replace the wear ring if it shows any wear. I cant describe the feeling of a new prop and wear ring...pure awesomeness.

One other thing to clean is the rave valves. And get that fuel out and replace it. It prob wouldnt be bad to do the same with the oil depending on how long it sat.

As far as modding...while you are doing the carbs you might want to switch to Fly flame arrestors and rejet the carbs. Mainly b/c the stock airbox blows to take off/get on.

Also an aftermarket prop is about the single best mod you can do. While you are in there replace the wear ring if it shows any wear. I cant describe the feeling of a new prop and wear ring...pure awesomeness.

Alright, the carbs are off and at the shop. I also ordered 20' of new fuel line. Not sure if that's too much, but I figured I'd replace all of the fuel line in the ski and figured 20' would/should cover it.

I intend to clean the rave valves as well.

I keep hearing about replacing the fuel selector. What is this a reference to? Not the switch, I presume, right? Is this something that should be done after time? Or is it because of the ethanol in the gas? What is the reason and what are the symptoms to indicate it needs to be changed?

As for the prop and the wear ring, I wasn't planning on doing that. I looked at the prop and it looks ok. Not great I guess...but seemed plenty servicable.

I am not even sure what/where the wear ring is. This is my first Seadoo, so...

Are these difficult mods? The wear ring and the prop? Are they difficult to replace? Or are they pretty easy to get to?

Thanks. I'm glad I found this site!

Chris

20' should be enough. The switch is the on-off-res switch. Junk will build up in it and restrict flow. Take the rubber cap off, then pry the knob off, then use a pliers and get the plastic nut loose.

The wear ring is the plastic around the prop. The pump comes off super easy on your machine, but you will need a prop tool to get the prop off. Also note you will need a new OEM O-ring for the cone, and Marine gear oil (amsoil)

You simply cut the old one out with a sawzall, buy a new one (OEM ONLY!!) put it in the freezer, then it will slide in with little effort.

you guys have any info on the part numbers on an aftermarket prop and OEM o-ring to be purchased? I think i will follow that route!

how has your 97.5 gsxl been , im thinking of picking one up.

I've had it for 2 seasons now and it has run great for me. Just make sure you do not slack at all on the maintenance. Keep the cylinders lubed up after riding (spraying XPS Lube (or similar) in cylinders) and make sure your carbs are tuned and plugs are reading correctly. From what I have read, if you take care of the white engines, they can last much like the silver. I have read peoples claims they have 300+ hours on the white motors with no top end rebuild yet, which is good for any 951.

My compression is still reading 135 per cylinder, which is right on par for a brand new white 951 motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back