1998 GTX Ltd Engine flutter sound & only 35-37 mph WOT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first jet ski - Just bought a used GTX Ltd. 74 hrs total, 1-owner. Starts well. When sitting at idle you can hear an engine tick or flutter kind of sound. When running wide open, only get 35-37 mph. 1st time out this year.

Any ideas on flutter sound?

Looks like fuel lines are gray. Sounds like I need to at least replace those and clean RAVE valves. If I clean carbs, can you easily do this with engine in ski? Does exhaust need to be removed to get to the carbs? Is there anything easy I can do tot he carbs or should I get the rebuild kits? Closest dealer is an hour away.

Looking for "how to" section. Ideas?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Where in Iowa are you? We lived in CR from 1989 - 1995.

You definitely need to change out the fuel lines and clean the carbs. We did that to our GTX Ltd last fall. We took the pipe out to get to the carbs, but I have seen postings here saying it can be done with the pipe on. The toughest part was reinstalling the pipe. The final bolt was a pain to reach. With help here we fabricated a wrench that allowed access to it. Got it at Harbor Freight.

You should probably check the wear ring and impellar as well as change the oil in the pump.

Here is a link to where I got assistance with our unit:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?47275-951-Exhaust-Bolts-HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I traveled to Burlington for work. We have gone to the space center once but don't get that way often.

There is a 2-stroke PWC section in the forum. You should go there to check for info or to ask any other questions.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back