1998 GTI totally dead. No response to dess key or anything.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjburt22

Got this ski back and its not doing a thing. I have tested all I know to do with no luck. Here's what I have done so far. First off I bought a new aftermarket mpem just to make sure that's not the issue. Good fuses in mpem and black box in back, good ground everywhere that I know to look. Stator tested good. Start/stop button is good. Starter and solenoid are also good, I can supply 12v to yellow/red wire leaving mpem and the engine will turn over. I am not getting any beeps and the guages will never light up at any time, whether key is on or off and no matter how long or how many times I press start button. From what I understand, with the key off, I should be able to hit the start button 5 times and the guages should light up.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Casey

In general, open the electrical junction box and confirm you are getting battery ground and power using a multimeter. I am not sure where to find a 98' GTI wiring diagram however, but I would suggest referencing that and using the multimeter, make sure the mpem is getting battery power and make sure it is getting ground. To check a ground, you would put the positive lead of the multimeter on the positive battery post, so a "good" ground will read battery voltage.

I do have good voltage and ground at mpem. Someone reccommended replacing dess post, so I'll try that this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back