1998 GTI engine trouble

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

berion

I need some direction on what to do next on my 1998 GTI.

I had it on the lake and it was running as well as it ever had. Heading back to the beach after a 40 min ride at full speed, I made a sharp turn and then idled back to the beach. It stalled before I got to shore and I couldn't restart it, but I was able to coast in. I let the ski sit for about an hour and tried to start it up. It was a little tough to start, but I got it going.

I idled away from the shore and gave it throttle. It acted strange -- rpms jumping all over the place, but I still had power. I backed off the throttle to see if it would even out while I turned back to shore. I didn't make it. The engine stopped abruptly with a clank, and I couldn't get it to turn over. I got a tow back to the beach.

So I get back home and I'm surprised that it will turn over. I did a pressure test: front is 145, rear is 150. I thought maybe I sucked something into the pump, so I removed the pump and it looks good.

I am able to turn the crankshaft by hand, I have spark, but it won't start. When I try to start it, just when it gets to the point where I think the engine will fire up, there's a "clunk" and the engine stops abruptly.

The weekend before this happened, I loaned the ski to a friend. It ran great for them. When they dropped it off, they mentioned they couldn't get much gas into the tank. So now I am wondering if they accidentally put gas into the oil tank. It doesn't look or smell like gas to me, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway it ran fine for 3-4 hours after they brought it back.

So where do I go next? I'm ready to tear into the engine, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. If any of you experienced guys could give me some direction, I'd appreciate it. One of the reasons I bought this ski is because I read the engine was relatively easy to work on. I guess I'm about to find out if that's true!

Thanks in advance.

Update:

I sprayed starting fluid into each cylinder and much to my surprise, it started.

What the heck!

I'm still concerned about what happened when it stalled and seemed to lock up. Anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Priming

Could be a few things, like water separator/filter cup seal sucking air into fuel supply line, crude in petcock, loose fuel routing line connection.

Only use pre-mix to prime.

Bills86e

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the fuel lines and see if I find anything.

I'm most concerned about what could have caused the engine to lock up and then free itself later. I really thought it was toast.

I wouldn't start it again until you confirm you have oil, and not gas in the oil tank.

Mike

That makes sense. I bought a siphon pump to drain out the oil.

I found the MSDS for the seadoo oil and it lists the specific gravity. I'll weigh up a sample and see if it was mixed with gas.

I would clean out carb and check over the fuel system to make sure you are good. Get some new plugs also. That would suck if they put gas in the oil but they might off. I would just drain, new filter, and refill with new oil.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back