Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've got a 1998 GSX Limited (5629/5845 with the 951 engine) and the info center/gauge display is shot. Not sure if it's the whole thing or just the display. I've seen the display repair kits online for $25ish that replace the polarizer film, but I think the damage to my display goes beyond the film and may be actually down to the LCD itself. I've looked around, but the part (278001258) is incredibly hard to find. Is there anyone who repairs these gauges, or anyone have a lead on how I could come up with one?

I know some other models from the same year (in particular the 98 GTX) have a similar info center, but the part numbers don't match up, and according to SeaDoo Source my part number only fits that particular GSX Limited. I'm open to grabbing a similar one and swapping it in, all I really care about is the tach and alarms to make sure I don't burn up my engine, don't really care about other functions.

Will snap a pic later of the info center and post here.

The LCD display was cooked black on mine, I almost threw it out. You really won't know much until you open it up and clean up the glass, which is tedious and takes time. But...once you do lay the new film down it'll be like new. You can bench test by connecting both 12 v wires to the gauge, the pur and red/pur, it'll show the clock, but nothing else until you connect the other sensors on the ski.

Attachments

• 20190325_212758.jpg
    20190325_212758.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 21
  • PC040298.JPG
    PC040298.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 26
I posted a lengthy reply on here just recently regarding failed gauges,,,but here I go again,,,(wish I knew how to store it and make it accessible),,,,is there condensation on the gauges?,,,if yes,,,your circuit board(s) are at fault,(there are usually 2 of them), and will covered in corrosion, and at least 1 tracer,,,,(usually the power in red wire) is broken, has no continuity, and usually the black ground return tracer, which is near the power in tracer is also fractured, and has no continuity.,,,If you are handy with electronics, and their repairs, you could cut into the back of the gauge, pull out the boards, the LCD comes out with them,,,and repair the boards and tracers.
But, if the micro processer is faulty,,(cracked/swollen),,it can be replaced, but cannot be BRP reprogrammed and is useless. However, if you can salvage a non faulty processer from a failed gauge unit, you can replace the faulty one, since it still contains the working program.,,,and save hundreds of dollars!!!

The LCD display was cooked black on mine, I almost threw it out. You really won't know much until you open it up and clean up the glass, which is tedious and takes time. But...once you do lay the new film down it'll be like new. You can bench test by connecting both 12 v wires to the gauge, the pur and red/pur, it'll show the clock, but nothing else until you connect the other sensors on the ski.

Here are the pics of mine, it looks like the film is shriveled up on top but it almost looks like there's a crumpled aluminum-foil-looking layer underneath. Hoping that's not the LCD itself...

Attachments

• IMG_7902.JPG
    IMG_7902.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 21
Here are the pics of mine, it looks like the film is shriveled up on top but it almost looks like there's a crumpled aluminum-foil-looking layer underneath. Hoping that's not the LCD itself...

Not so bad, it looks to have peeled up, that's promising, should be easy to clean it up to put the new film down.

Thanks for the help guys. I unfortunately pulled the gauge and not only could I barely recognize the LCD, I poured about 2 tablespoons of water out of it. The whole board is corroded. It's done for good unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back