1997 XP Carb Issues/Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dugedug4

Just picked up a 1997 XP last week, my first jet ski so i'm trying to get up to speed. This forum has been a great help so far so thanks to all contributors.

The first time I put it in the water I had a problem with acceleration, getting to speed very slowly topping out around 30 MPH with power coming and going. After reading through some posts it appears I have the dreaded grey tempo fuel lines so those will be replaced first along with a carb rebuild which I am in the process of doing right now.

After I got the carbs pulled out I look at the bottom of one of them and it appears that gas has been leaking out one corner. It was wet and the paint is peeling off pretty significantly so i'm assuming this may have been a significant portion of my problem. The filters are also filthy so that wasn't helping any either.

Would the leaking be caused by a bad gasket/diaphragm or would you see another problem? At first I thought a piece of the gasket was blown out but it appears that the metal was actually cast without a lip for that corner (normal I assume). Pics attached.

2016-05-01 16.50.20.jpg
2016-05-01 16.51.54.jpg
2016-05-01 17.06.16.jpg
2016-05-01 17.06.22.jpg

Thanks!

The point pealing from the cover is normal. And to be honest... those are in nice shape. I can't tell you how many I rebuilt that were rotten looking.

Anyway... use spray carb cleaner, (dip is useless) and it will melt the goo out. But, you also need to use compressed air, and carb cleaner in EVERY port in the carb... and make sure... 100%... that they are clear.

FYI... a lean run on a 2-stroke will kill it... so don't take the cleaning lightly.

Thanks for the reply Dr Honda. I rebuilt the carbs and replaced all the fuel lines. I took it back to the lake and still had the same issue with power/acceleration. At that point I got fed up and took it to my local dealer. They charged me an hour diagnostic and told me they have no idea whats wrong with it, good luck.

I was a little irritated it took several days longer to look at it than they told me it would and in the end were zero help, a week wasted. I decided to take another look at it myself. I got it home, hooked it up to the hose and it seemed to accelerate okay but at top end always has seemed to bounce a little, or seem "sick". I then noticed there was no water coming out of the pisser hole on the left side of the ski, upon further inspection it appears that some plant life was stuck in it allowing no flow(see pictures).

I removed the crap out of the hole and blew compressed air through it, water then comes out of the pisser fine and the engine seems to rev up perfectly.

Sorry for all the details but my question is, would a plugged pisser hole cause this lack of power/acceleration!? I'm taking it to the lake today to try it out but it sure sounded awesome on the hose.IMG_1490.JPGIMG_1491.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back