1997 season gti starting issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommyjoe

I just recently picked up a 97 GTI. Have been digging through the forum and haven’t figured out what I’m looking for. I was able to get the engine to turn over with the start button but the battery was weak so I used cables from my car (not running). I was able to get it started for a few seconds and I turned it off. This was after thinking maybe my crank was hydro locked so I removed the plugs and spun it in 15 second intervals every 60 seconds. It was cranking slow with the plugs in but freely with them out. I went out to buy a new battery and put it in. Now when I try to start it I get like a buzzing sound and notice vibrations from where the plug wires go too. Nothing else happens. I tried jumping the starter solenoid and I get nothing but a spark. Could I have fried the starter or something else? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Did you try this with the spark plugs removed? If you are getting power to the starter and it is not spinning you either have a starter issue or you engine is locked up. If you can't spin the engine by hand with the spark plugs out you have a problem. You might have a jet pump issue or... a rope in the pump. It happens. Good Luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back