1997 Seadoo XP Intake Grate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingjames2306

I have a 97 XP and the stock intake grate was ripped out some how. I've been reading threads and I see a lot of other people have this problem and also have the problem of the two rear screw holes not being threaded. The Seadoo site suggests using loctite red on those two screws so here is what I'm wondering. Is there supposed to be threads for the two rear screws? If not am I just supposed to put the loctite on the new screw and "make my own threads". Loctite red is the permanent loctite so it shouldn't come out.

I have a 97 XP and the stock intake grate was ripped out some how. I've been reading threads and I see a lot of other people have this problem and also have the problem of the two rear screw holes not being threaded. The Seadoo site suggests using loctite red on those two screws so here is what I'm wondering. Is there supposed to be threads for the two rear screws? If not am I just supposed to put the loctite on the new screw and "make my own threads". Loctite red is the permanent loctite so it shouldn't come out.

Look at what my previous owner did...

88.jpg

89.jpg

Bolt and screwed it thru so it doesnt come off

any recommendations how? if i use a wood type crew, or no bolt, im assuming it will fall off...unless i get a new shoe, i might have to use a bolt and nut solution...right?

any recommendations how? if i use a wood type crew, or no bolt, im assuming it will fall off...unless i get a new shoe, i might have to use a bolt and nut solution...right?

Ya you could bolt and nut it but the best solution is to epoxy new inserts in. If you bolt and nut it make sure it is flush and not sticking out like before

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Figured...those things underneath almost drowned me once as they got caught in my jacket as i flipped the ski around once when it was belly up....

Took the grate off and this is what i found where the bolts should go...seems like they arent that bad....the main part of the insert is untouched it seems like

372.jpg

goto the hardware store and look for brass threaded inserts. Get some good epoxy and get those suckers in there GOOD. make sure that hole is FULL of Epoxy, and let it ooze out.

goto the hardware store and look for brass threaded inserts. Get some good epoxy and get those suckers in there GOOD. make sure that hole is FULL of Epoxy, and let it ooze out.

Got some threaded inserts...epaxy all around them and got them in the wholes...got a used r&d, cleaned it up and put it up last night

64.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back