1997 Seadoo SPX 787 Starting Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wioffroader

Hello,
I am currently having some issues with my ski. When I go to start it (with a full and tested battery) it will turn over and than stop turning over like I am letting go of the starter button. Turn over for a couple seconds and then stop for a second and repeat. However, I have noticed if I removed the spark plug wires from the plugs, there is no hesitation when turning over. I am starting to think that the plugs are taking all the voltage from the starter and the starter is weak or is there a sensor that notices when the ski is running that is shuts down the starter? I would like to here your imput. Also, I have tested the starter solenoid and it checked out. Also, I made sure all the grounds in the electrical boxes were tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Brad

It could be a number of things. Start by first cleaning all cables and connections. The main battery cables can corrode from the inside so if they look questionable replace them. Your next thing could be a starter solenoid going out and finally the starter.

There are no sensors and the only reason pulling the plugs helps is because the starter isn't working against the compression.

I did not remove the plugs from the head, only the plug wires. When I removed the plug Wires there was no hesitation to turn over. However, when the plug wires are attached to the plugs, it hesitates as described above.

I tested the solenoid and it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back