1997 Seadoo Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred1948

Hi Everyone!

New to forums, but thought I'd give this a try.
I need help with my boat!

I've owned boats for 34 years, but this is the first SeaDoo.
The boat is great when it's running.

I can give details to my question regarding lack of acceleration to plane out after I see if this goes through.

Boating season is more than half over, and plenty of frustration!
HELP!
Thanks..

Fred1948

Thanks for the welcome, Shawn!

Don't know what cavitation is, but will describe all that I've done with this boat (motor is 717 with dual carbs)

Rebuilt both carbs, and checked them 3 times.
Popoff working good at 25 PSI.
Low side adjustment is 2 turns out, the high side is 1/4 turn.
I've tried many different combinations on adjustments, even while standing in the engine compartment!

I've checked for fuel line blockage, but don't see any problem.
Sending unit in fuel tank has been cleaned out.
The shutoff valve has been bypassed.

The seadoo man in my area was thinking I could try to change from dual carbs to single carb
Is this a good idea??? He did loan me an older carb along with intake manifold/oil pump.

any ideas on what could possibly be wrong with dual carbs or ANYTHING else I can check?
Boat on water will accelerate normally to about 1/2 throttle, and then it chokes up and either dies or we have to putt back to dock.

Welcome to the site,, You are in the MEET AND GREET section. You really should post this question in the 2-STROKE BOAT SECTION. More people will see it.

That said, when you floor it, does the rev right up nice and fast but the boat does not jump out of the hole? Kind of like a transmission slipping or spinning tires?

Thanks for the direction to 2 stroke boats...I'll try to get there soon.

No, it doesn't act like it's spinning the wheels or slipping.
The pump was rebuilt last year.

Ah no it's not cavitating. Do not go to a single carb. To be honest you seem really rich on those needle settings. Did you try setting it to factory? I'm assuming you have stock jets in it. As much as I'd hate to say it, pulling them and verifying the jet size will be beneficial.

Let me know if you are starting another thread.

I believe those jets are the stock ones -- I never changed them and before these new problems, the boat ran GREAT.

I read the suggestions in the manual (online), and began with those settings, but they may be wrong now with all my attempted adjustments.
What do you suggest I set the settings should be?

Hate to sound dumb but not used to using forums and want to be on the 2-stroke boat forum.

Am I there? Or in the meet and greet section still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back