1997 SeaDoo GTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

voznaj

New to the forum (and to PWC's), but have been checking it out over the past couple of weeks. I've got just a general question. I live in NY and although the weather is still cold, I went out and purchased a 1997 SeaDoo GTX w/150 hrs. It had been previously owned by a 65 yr old woman who purchased it new, so I am in fact the 2nd owner. I've got all of the maintenance records of everything she's ever had done to it, but was wondering if there is anything I can do now to ensure it will start come spring? The heads have been fogged, so I assume the R.A.V.E valves cannot be taken out and inspected or cleaned? Is this a correct assessment? Also, should I be looking into cleaning the carbs as well? Third option I suppose would also be to let it sit until I'm able to get it in the water, although not the most fun option. How reliable are the 787 Rotax that are in these machines? I was able to visually inspect the propeller using a flashlight and all looks pretty good. The issue is that it's a 12 yr old machine, and while it doesn't look it, I'm not sure what I should be looking to do to it. The maintenance records don't indicate anything about a carb clean or R.A.V.E clean I should mention. The last piece of information I have is that during the winterization it had done on it in 08/08, they charged the battery and verified it started. I assume also that this shouldn't be started until the freezing temperatures have left for good! Just looking for piece of mind on a semi-expensive investment; $2700 for PWC and Yacht Club Trailer. It's really in spectacular condition. Thanks.

You can start the seadoo but don't run it on the hose and only start it for a few seconds, so it won't over heat. If you run it on the hose you'll have to winterize the cooling system again. You could pull the rave valves and clean them if you want and clean the carbs too. The biggest thing the fogging does is coat the internals of the engine with lubricant to protect the metal internal parts. If you not real familiar with the seadoo repairs or maintenance you might want to join as a premium member. As a premium member you can down load a authentic seadoo manual from the seadoo manual library. In the library is a variety of manuals for almost all years and models. You can view as many as you like on line as a PDF file, or download it and print it for your personal and privet use. There are operator manuals and repair manuals for you to do your own repairs on your seadoo. The repair manuals have everything from troubleshooting, repair procedures to winterizing. It contains wire diagrams torque specs and pictures for disassemble and assemble instructions. In the spec sheets it tells everything needed to maintain oil changes, spark plug gaps, carburetor rebuilds and impeller wear ring tolerances. Click on the "Seadoo Manuals" link at the top of the page for more details. If you need any help or get in a jam, we are always here to answer your questions too.

With a manual in hand it might be easier to figure it out...You'll have all the information on your seadoo to review at you leisure, and than ask us questions if you still can't figure it out.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back