1997 seadoo gsi bombardier something went wrong haha!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattosmike

Sorry to bother you guys but i bought a seadoo gsi 1997 and went to do a flush on it because im using it on salt water. So this is what happened: I turned on the jet ski and went to turn on the water for the hose. The hose escaped so i ran to turn off the jet ski and the jet ski wouldnt turn off ( i pressed the button and nothing. removed the key and nothingg!) so i threw the jet ski back on the water and it worked for about 5 seconds and it shut off. Maybe all together took 30 seconds. I tried later to turn it on and it will just crank but wont start, the throttle lever is very loose like something that held it fell apart and that plug in the middle of the steering handle is a little hard and it wont go all the way down like i remember it used to (not sure what this plug is for..). I am a big noob when it comes to jet ski as you guys might see but....
any suggestions?

Mraws question is important.

Also how long did it run altogether?
If the motor only ran for 3-5 minutes without water it's no big deal and we can figure out why is not starting now. If it ran longer it could have caused internal damage from the heat especially if it "ran away" which is why mraw asked if it revved up

In the future if this happens to you again just pull the choke. It might take a few seconds but that will kill the motor

Last edited:
1 - sorry i cant remember because im not used to the noise of the engine outside the water and it was a mega stressful situation.
2 - altogether: turned on the engine, ran to the water supply maybe 2 seconds away, turned water on, realized the hose jumped 2 seconds after, tried to turned off by pressing buttons then pulling the key, ran to the front and threw jet ski on the water. maybe 20 ~ 30 seconds of thrill.
3- idk if it helps but it uses premix, the last owner cut out some part and now the jet ski is always in full beast mode. The idle is not very idly...

Sounds like you bought a can of worms.....

IF it can't be shutoff at normal rpm then you have an electrical issue and I have never seen one that will not shut off from the switch or lanyard.

If it won't shut off and is screaming to the moon at wide open throttle and you think it will blow up at any minute then you have a runaway, typically from an air leak.

What did he cut out?
What is running at beast mode?

We need way more information to be able to help you.

not sure whats the name of the process but i heard is very common on jet skis, so instead of putting oil on the compartment i have to put mixed with the gasoline. didnt really get into details. The strange part was that before the button and pulling out the key would turn off the jet ski immediately and this time it didnt and all this happened.

any idea on where to look? maybe where to start looking for signals.. something on that kind. im not an expert but i can always try to see whats wrong

Ok then....let's start with the basics:

1) pull the plugs and crank the engine.....does water shoot out the spark holes? That'll eliminate a flooded engine from hose water if no water shoots out
2) follow the throttle cable to the carb lever.....the wire may have frayed/shredded and might be hanging by a thread
3) the center knob is the choke lever...follow the choke cable back to the carb butterflies and make sure all things are attached and/or not hung up on something somewhere...those cables have to be in free air, not rubbing against anything.

Sounds to me like it ran away. Quick thinking in any case. I posted a thread on runaway engines. Check it out so you'll be ready if it happens again. Definitely not what we expect for sure and the first one is really freaky. Good Luck.

not sure whats the name of the process but i heard is very common on jet skis, so instead of putting oil on the compartment i have to put mixed with the gasoline. didnt really get into details. The strange part was that before the button and pulling out the key would turn off the jet ski immediately and this time it didnt and all this happened.
What your talking about here is a oil pump delete. people do this becuase they fear the oil pump will fail.

It is not recommended to do this and you may want to look into reinstalling an oil pump. Seadoo's oil pumps are great and if adjusted correctly wont let you down.

As far as full beast mode. This modification won't do anything to change the power of the ski. it sounds like you may need to adjust the idle speed if it's doing more than just idling. Also if its lobing or the idle speed is moving around there is a bigger concern that needs to be addressed

Exactly as Nick said, but to add......
People that have no clue remove all the oil injection parts including the oil tank because of the false assumption premix is better.
Then the seadoo 787-580 engines lock up because there is no oil going to the rotary gear. Something that no other personal watercrafts have. But as we already know these "experts" thought premix would be the best.

Ok then....let's start with the basics:

1) pull the plugs and crank the engine.....does water shoot out the spark holes? That'll eliminate a flooded engine from hose water if no water shoots out
2) follow the throttle cable to the carb lever.....the wire may have frayed/shredded and might be hanging by a thread
3) the center knob is the choke lever...follow the choke cable back to the carb butterflies and make sure all things are attached and/or not hung up on something somewhere...those cables have to be in free air, not rubbing against anything.
i will do all these! I think flooded engine is not an option since the hose escaped in no time haha. im just scared that the jet ski overheated and it turned off not because it recognized that the key wasnt in place butt because it was working with no water supply. Do these jet skis have any system to turn off before it overheats in cases like this ?

What your talking about here is a oil pump delete. people do this becuase they fear the oil pump will fail.

It is not recommended to do this and you may want to look into reinstalling an oil pump. Seadoo's oil pumps are great and if adjusted correctly wont let you down.

As far as full beast mode. This modification won't do anything to change the power of the ski. it sounds like you may need to adjust the idle speed if it's doing more than just idling. Also if its lobing or the idle speed is moving around there is a bigger concern that needs to be addressed
i will look into this as well. the full beast mode its because i think the jet ski is too fast.

Exactly as Nick said, but to add......
People that have no clue remove all the oil injection parts including the oil tank because of the false assumption premix is better.
Then the seadoo 787-580 engines lock up because there is no oil going to the rotary gear. Something that no other personal watercrafts have. But as we already know these "experts" thought premix would be the best.
good to know !

i will do all these! I think flooded engine is not an option since the hose escaped in no time haha. im just scared that the jet ski overheated and it turned off not because it recognized that the key wasnt in place butt because it was working with no water supply. Do these jet skis have any system to turn off before it overheats in cases like this ?
There is an over heater beep but it won't shut down. My biggest concern would be that the engine experienced a run away and suffered damage. I would check compression, should be around 140 to 150 in each, with no more than a 10% difference between cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back