1997 Seadoo GS stall problem...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanlkab

I just bought a 97' GS, it runs and sounds perfect, even hit max speeds of around 50mph+/-. After about an hour, while idle, it started to make a put-put-put noise and stall. After sitting for a few mins, she fired right up as if nothing ever happened. She runs at full throttle after the stall, and kept going without an issue... What could be the cause of this? Should I be concerned about a BAD motor? I'm a newbie :confused:

If it's running fine now... it's hard to say what happened.

You could have had some water in the fuel, or a little piece of junk got through the filter, and went into the carb.

If you are worried about the engine, do a compression check. If you are 140 psi or better, and you don't hear any griding noises (bad bearings) don't worry unless the problems come back.

Thanks for the reply! I think the gas in the tank was left over from last year. He said he put an additive in it over the winter(seafoam?) and fogged the carbs. But nevertheless, the gas is still like 10 months old. Should I put a carb cleaner in the tank? Any recomendations for what kind to use? I'm gonna put new plugs in. I believe the fuel lines have been replaced because they aren't grey. Would dirty RAVE valves cause a stall, but still allow you to run WOT? I just dont want to get stranded way out in Lake Michigan. Your help is much appreciated! :cheers:

At a noticeful change of engine performance, replace & gap new *plugs. If you suspect more than minor change, Do not drive it until its fixed. Check compression.

She probly hasn't seen any maintenance like anual rave cleaning EXCEPT...you have a 717 motor, no raves.

Your problem is fuel circulatory related. 99% of the time. YOU have a bad DESS post.
You should go over all wire harness connectors, male & female, clean & dielectric grease, same with fuses. Clean & dry out rear electric box, water gets in there. Do
the same in there, all wire connections. Many electrical factors here.

Gas goes bad in 3-4 weeks. Adding New will not work. Adding Stabil to skis that may sit a coupla weeks will add life to the gas and lubricate the carburetors. Bills86e

Please excuse my ignorance, you are saying not to change the *plugs until I notice a change in engine performance(like not being able to hit top speed)? Will the ski even hit top speed with bad compression? You think I need to change out the DESS post?

Thanks for your advice! I'm a true beginner here...
Ryan :cheers:

I forgot to mention that I have to pull out the key and put it back in to get a restart. And it does beep twice...

Thanks
Ryan

Type your year & model into the search box to find comments from other owners
and read your Shop Manual. Bills86e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back