1997 Seadoo Challenger Hard Start Solved

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

brownie545

I have been fighting a hard start issue for quite a while and wanted to share what solved my issue. After rebuilding the carbs, checking the rotary valve, and checking compression the issue ended up being a dirty spark arrestor. Soaked it in degreaser and the boat starts immediately every time. I have not seen a lot of talk about the spark arrestor on forums so I thought I'd share. Might want to try this first since its so simple to pull and clean.

Great news
It’s good now and again to trine back the coil wire insulation as the susceptible to get moisture around the center wire and break off
Even to replace the spark plug caps shouldn’t be expensive and readily available in Moto cross bike shops

Great news
It’s good now and again to trine back the coil wire insulation as the susceptible to get moisture around the center wire and break off
Even to replace the spark plug caps shouldn’t be expensive and readily available in Moto cross bike shops

Just make sure you are getting non-resistor plug caps.

I did not have to touch the spark plug cables or connections. I cleaned the spark/flame arrestor that sits on the carbs. Just wasn't letting enough air in.

The spark arrestor is only a few wire mesh screens. I have never seen or know how you would ever plug one up to restrict air.
They should never need to be cleaned.
I even fog mine through the screens and it never plugs up anything.

Is yours possibly aftermarket?

It might be. It was in really bad shape. Completely caved in. Light would barely pass through it. Soaked it in degreaser and boat starts perfectly.

I actually found this in service manual troubleshooting guide.

Last edited:
It might be. It was in really bad shape. Completely caved in. Light would barely pass through it. Soaked it in degreaser and boat starts perfectly.

I actually found this in service manual troubleshooting guide.

Wow! Good job. I have never seen or heard of that so would have never even considered that.
It’s nice when it’s something simple and cheap.

I've seen flame arrestors plugged with gunk. I wou!d say it depends on what is in the engine compartment. Insulation foam that is deteriorating, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back