1997 Seadoo Challenger 1800 fuel baffle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

citplus

My 1997 Seadoo Challenger 1800 fuel gauge reads empty so I pulled the connector to the baffle and jumped between the pink/black and the pink. The gauge went all the way to full; I pulled the jumper and it went back to empty.

Next I pulled the baffle out of the tank and flipped the baffle upside down and the gauge read full, flipped back upright and the gauge went to empty.

Next I put the baffle back in the gas tank and it went back to empty although the tank is 3/4 full!
I pulled the baffle, opened the bottom and removed the float to check if it was full of gas. It was empty. I then put it in a bucket of water and it floated. I cleaned the contacts on the float and put it back in the baffle and connected it up and flipped it upside down and the gauge read full. Installed the baffle in the tank and the gauge read empty again.

Does anybody know what is wrong?

the old style floats will saturate, and sink in our new fuels. Replace it with a new style, blow molded float, and it will work again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dr. Honda.
I would not have suspected that because it floated in water. I will see if I can find a float. Do you know off the top of your head where I can buy one?

I buy them in bulk from one of my suppliers... but I only have one left... and it's going into a boat on Monday. (otherwise I would sell you one)

I know Parker Yamaha sells them... but reports are saying that they have crazy shipping prices on small parts these days.

If you have a Seadoo dealer local to you... they should have them on the shelf.

And finally... I've had good luck getting them on ebay. (sometimes that's faster)

Here's one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaDoo-Fuel...044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec36815bc

Just bought it. That seller is located in Middleriver Md and that's exactly where I boat.
Thanks for your help Dr. Honda. When I install the part I'll report back to let you know the results.

The reason it floats in water is the fuel that the float is saturated with is less dense than water, hence it floats. But if you put it in the same density liquid (the fuel) it will sink as the magnets drag it to the bottom.

IDoSeaDoo,

You are absolutely right! When I think about it, gas floats on water which proves that it is less dense than water. I should have tested the float in a container with gas and I bet it would sink.
Here is the technical specs that I looked up.

Density of water = 1,000.00 Kg/m3 (Kilograms per meter cubed)
Density of gas = 719.7 kg/m3 (Kilograms per meter cubed)

So this means that any object that has specific gravity greater than 719.7 but less than 1000.00 will sink in gas but float on water. Greater than 1000.00 and it will sink in water also.
This might be way to much information but I know that some of us out there get into this stuff sometimes; that's why we fix our own boats.

Ok,
I got the part today and installed it. The fuel gauge is now working!!!!
I decided to weigh both floats and here are the results:

Original float (black) 12 grams
New float (white) 7 grams

The new float is almost half the weight of the new one.
I plan on leaving the old float sitting on my work bench for a couple days to see if it will dry out. I will weigh it and post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back